I Forge Iron

They are pricing me 4 by 8 by 8 at $4 a lb (about 65 lbs) for 4340

seem right>? I've never priced or bought it before.

I know 4340 is much more then 4130 and these will have to be sawn off of 4" plate.

The last 4340 I priced was a 3" X 5" X 12" peice and it was just over $5/lb with the cutting charges

• 3 weeks later...

Its looking like we have confirmation on a June 25th delivery date. The concrete has a couple weeks on it now and it will be close to a month of cure time when the hammer arrives.

Now I just have to clean the area to get the trucks and forklift in, which of course involves moving 2 other power hammers! Not sure I've done the best planning here but I think I can get the puzzle worked out.

Kerry; You also might consider turning the anvil 180 degrees when you set this hammer up again. One of your pictures shows the key for the sow block in the back of the anvil----it will work either way----but it is a lot easier to deal with when it enters and exits from the front. This also should put the key for your bottom die in front as well. Alan

Contact Bob Bergman at www.postvilleblacksmith.com
he may have dies for sale and he can help with parts rebuild ect if neccessary
Sorry to take t so long to answer 781 is in southern Minnesota.

Stay away from nazel.com as he tried to rip me off several years ago when I sent him a check for $7800 and then he decided I did not buy anything from him.

I hope to be with Dave Hammer in Indiana on the 25 watching Clifton and crew on the steam hammer.

Another source for nazel info in Ralph Sproul in New Hampsire. He set up his hammer on plate I belive. He also helped Keane Paradisio, IL, rebuild his 4B

I have 25 hours or more of blacksmith conference video to edit before the trip to Indiana next week so I better get back to that.

Happy pounding.

You may get to see it anyway Dave. The rigger is telling me he can't get a truck this week. I'll know more in a couple hours but this sucks. Hopefully I'll have enough time to cancel the lift truck if it is postponed.

Either way I'll use the time to set the Beaudry but I can use a much smaller (cheaper!) lift for that or maybe get the quarry guys to move it.

:(

I have a bunch of drip style oilers till this gets sorted out.

No dies yet so we might make sure it cycles, but no forging for a few weeks.

Its pretty obvious the crane lift guys at the dealer screwed up. Chains on fresh paint tell the tail.

Its now sitting in my driveway as I had to off load it down the street and forklift it here.

I watched this morning as Mike and Kerry got the 4B on to the supports that bolt to the hammer frame and are (or will be) welded to the steel plate. The last picture above is Mike in his well deserved victory pose. I expected a crowd, but just me (at least until 11:00 am). Just as well, I'm sure because there was a lot of fussy work by the boys to get perfect alignment. Congratulations to both of you for the time, ideas, and $ invested. Very impressive and will be more so as work continues.

Interesting day. Hammer came a day early.
Hum somethings missing here..... It will be interesting to see how this works out.

[
Ebay pics as part of the machine description....

hammerday5a.JPG

Kerry,
Be sure to get another oiler from them. One was paid for and you should get one. It looked like a nice oiler.
I would not mind a new five port oiler myself.

Ric

John understates how perfect his timing was coming by. Having a third set of hands made a huge difference getting the risers lined up. There is nothing quite like having an experianced power hammer builder show up at your site to help you install a beast like this.

kinghammer3a.JPG

Having John show up is kinda like having John Wayne show up to tell you 'Go ahead pilgrim, I got your back'

kinghammer4a.JPG

Yes Mike, its bigger then you thought!

kinghammer5a.JPG

I want to thank everyone that has helped me with this hammer so far.

Here are a few shots of the hammer being installed

post-6419-025965000 1277648867_thumb.jpg
Kerry cutting the studs

post-6419-065714700 1277648873_thumb.jpg
Picking the 2" base plate

post-6419-030538300 1277648886_thumb.jpg
Installing the anvil

post-6419-071916200 1277648877_thumb.jpg
Cutting out gussests and washers on the CNC plasma

post-6419-085191100 1277648881_thumb.jpg
Grinding the brackets

post-6419-016168700 1277648854_thumb.jpg
Hammer coming in

post-6419-046891500 1277648862_thumb.jpg
Hammer in place and welded in

post-6419-098950500 1277648857_thumb.jpg
Hammer medallion

She still needs some more work, but it is all rolling right along.

Mike Lambiase

The building is going up around it. Actually it will have a roof cantilevered over it from the main structure. The 250 Beaudry is cattycorner across the room on a 2 ft thick foundation (or it will be in about an hour!) The Iron Kiss 90 lb beam hammer will go directly to the nazels right and the drop hammer will go back where it was about 15 ft in front of the Nazel.

The risers are 2 sections of 8" channel 1/2" thick set back to back, plug welded with several gussets and end plates welded in(basicly making an I-beam with gussets). The machine is bolted in place and the risers are now welded to the 2" steel plate. I wanted something more substancial then others we saw tied to concrete directly. Threaded sections are 1.5" around and the washers are 1/4" steel. We may add to the front riser at some point once we make a decision how the standing area around it will be handled.

Dave Hammer actually has his anvil (3B) set like this but with hard maple between the anvil and plate. It seemed counter productive to isolate the anvil from the plate so we went with a direct approach.

The plate will be tied into the concrete to prevent it from walking/rotating.

The single sections of 'C' channel you see in the pics are just there while we were finishing the risers, just in case the forklift allowed the hammer to lower while it was sitting. (which it did!)