I Forge Iron

As far as tooling goes John, have you thought about investing in having a tool body made that would allow you to use something like off the shelf triangular carbide inserts to machine the angles you require? The carbide inserts will wear out but the body never does unless it`s abused, not that you`d ever do something like that.

Thanks, Phil, for the LG numbers. I stand corrected and if I still have a die in the shop I will double check it.

Thanks Mainely Bob. Yes, essentially that is what I was asking about just above. My machinst buddy who makes my 7 degree HSS cutters is good, but makes me wait too long sometimes. So the carbide inserts would get me past that bottleneck.

I am mainly concerned about staying aligned with Brian Russell on the angles because he is my supplier of S7 dies.

I can remember back in the Keenjunk forum days almost begging for info on the angles and the site was useless. I copied Tom Clark and Uri Hofi because I used Tom as a die supplier for a while. Then I made my own for a long time staying with the Clark/Hofi/Turkish/German angles. I then switched to Sahinler dies on my bigger hammers and special Iron Kiss dies from Brian. Sahinler is also a German knock off made in Turkey, albeit a very old firm.

At this point I have strong motive to not change to another set of angles, obviously, and I must say also that I have been satisfied with the 1 degree and 7 degree angles.

FWIW, in Bob Bergman's video on rebuilding Nazels, he shows a special hammer he built for knocking loose a Nazel sow block wedge. The 1/8 in 12 (plus years of seating in) is a bit of a problem that he solved with the battering ram type of special hammer.

• 9 months later...

I recieved a phone call last night, the machine shop has finally completed the front end work on this hammer.

New cushion plug and bushing, truing of the tup, new guide plates(iron this time!) to match the new bore size with bronze pins, weld up and recutting of the dovetail, completely repaired guide ring with steel mounting flange interferance fit and bolted to the existing ring.

I expect to be picking up the parts on wednesday.