I Forge Iron

Can't find an anvil?

I keep reading on here about people who "can't find an anvil". Some good places to try are; Craigslist! I just found and bought a 254 Lb Peter Wright for $350.00 there! Ebay. Yeah, I know, they can be pricey, but a good one will outlast you! OK...I've done my bit to help the anvil challenged here...how about posting how you found yours
.post-9512-055006900 1273579479_thumb.jpg post-9512-087481900 1273579419_thumb.jpg

Link removed due to advertising

I have never found it hard to find an anvil either but the North East is probably the most anvil rich area in the US and beinig that your from NH puts you right in the middle of it.
There are areas in the US that even back when a blacksmith was the most needed person around may have only had 2-3 anvils in a hundred mile radious, or more. So in those areas today there is very likely none.
Just something to keep in mind when someone says they can't find an anvil, but it is also why it is so important to add your location to your profile, it doesn't have to be your address just your area, no one here is going to try and hunt you down, so it's safe to show what state your from, or providence if your not in the US.

welder19

" just found and bought a 254 Lb Peter Wright for $350.00 there!"

Good on ya - congrats on a good deal. But an anecdotal purchase isn't exactly setting the standard for availability. There's no dire shortage of anvils in the world but a lot of the folks who are looking and see an ad for an anvil two states away can't afford to drive and buy or buy and ship. Sometimes they're in an area where those who are selling have their anvils over-priced even in poor condition. It takes some perseverance and sometimes as in your case, being in the "right place at the right time".

I got my anvil back in the mid 90's from Jerry Culberson at Old Cedar Forge in Alyn Wa - My wife and I stopped by just as his wife Ina was closing up shop - we didn't want to bother them so we were just going to turn around and leave when she said "Nonsense - c'mon in and meet Jerry and look around" It was a wonderful visit over the next 3 hours and when Jerry found out I was thinking about getting an anvil (I had just started and was using an O/A torch and a piece of I-beam), he showed me several he had for sale and said " that 200 lb Trenton there is ready to work" - He sold it to me for $400.00. Was it the best deal in the world at the time? I couldn't say, but it was the right deal for me.

Keep your eyes open and if need be, use what's on hand to make do - the most important part is to find a way to get hot iron under a hammer.

I think one of the issues is: are people *working* on finding an anvil?

So many folks just seem to want an anvil handed to them and so are willing to pay outrageous prices (especially if you include shipping) on e-bay or to an antique dealer.

I know a lot of people who when they actually went out and started beating the bushes for anvils ended up with one at a good price---or two or three even, and after they had previously complained about there being no anvils around.

I currently live in an anvil poor area, combined with a local anvil "collector" and having a sufficient "harem" of anvils already I have not been beating the bushes. Even so I am averaging a good anvil about every other year just keeping my eyes and ears open.

Thomas Powers Anvils, like the Truth, are out there!

Sometime you just end up being in the right place at the right time.

The first anvil I owned I made - just a 5"x5" block anvil for re-enactment demos.

The first "real" anvil I got was a chance find at an antiques market. It's 120lbs with a long horn on it , can't quite make out the name though. Got it for $200.00. (see the attached photo)

After that one - 6 months later, - I get an email from a colleague of mine who says he's cleaning out his class-shop and has 2 anvils he's going to scrap ... do I want them?
I made it to his school in record time and soon enough had 2 Vaughan 100lb anvils in the back of my van ... for FREE!!!
I loaned one to a friend of mine and I loaned the other to my 2 students (brothers) to work with at home.
Just made the one I loaned to my students a "gift" this Christmas - so now they have an anvil of their own too.

Still looking for the next anvil score - this time I'm after a 200lb.
Got a few auctions lined up soon - THE HUNT IS ON !!!

Sam

post-4558-038342400 1273615729_thumb.jpg

With the flat on the front feet I'd guess that was a Peter Wright and it does have an aggressive pike on it indeed!

I toned back my hunt after I got the 515# Fisher and then restored the 410# trenton and the 300#? Bridge anvil; of course if someone asked me to haul off a 750# anvil for them I wouldn't say no...

The interesting thing about blacksmithing tools in general is that if you keep your trained eye open tools pop out of everywhere. I look at many of my tools and cannot even remember where I got them. A few months ago I was in a second hand store just looking around and saw two pair of tongs buried under a bunch of wrenches on a shelf. Bought both of them for $3 a pair, and in great shape! :D

I was in another second hand store and passed by a wooden box sitting on something at least 3 or 4 times. The next time I was passing by I lifted the box and there was a 150lb. (approx, I'm guessing about the weight) Peter Wright. I left without buying it, a week later I went back and it was gone. Stupid me........ Oh well, I have three anvils anyway. Leave no box unturned I guess!! ;)

Went to see the seller to give him a deposit to hold it for me. It turned out that I couldn't see the whole weight trio, and the last number was NOT 2, but 26, so I have a 278 Lb Peter Wright, for $350! Not bad for approx $1.26/pound!
He also has a smaller anvil that a friend of mine will probably buy when we go to pick it up!
Would anyone here be interested in a Van Norman Duplex Mill? Plat on the side says model 3. Looks to be in very good shape, with assorted horizontal arbors,collets and about 5, 5 gallon buckets of milling cutters. I told the guy I'd see if I could help him sell it, seeing as he wasn't too upset when I told him the anvil was worth more than he was asking. He also has rotary tables, one is about 12", with a 10 " lathe chuck on it, and an 18, or 24" rotary table, also a dividing rotary table.
Now...for the good stuff!
post-9512-017649500 1273658843_thumb.jpgpost-9512-031860400 1273658883_thumb.jpgpost-9512-098055200 1273658996_thumb.jpgpost-9512-085368000 1273659148_thumb.jpgpost-9512-063781500 1273659199_thumb.jpg

Went to see the seller to give him a deposit to hold it for me. It turned out that I couldn't see the whole weight trio, and the last number was NOT 2, but 26, so I have a 278 Lb Peter Wright, for $350! Not bad for approx $1.26/pound!
He also has a smaller anvil that a friend of mine will probably buy when we go to pick it up!

Looking at pics like yours it makes me wonder what type of work was being done on different anvils.Your anvil has a hollow on the face over the main body and what looks like serious use from the hardy hole back and yet the edges are relatively crisp and have few chips.
Other anvils posted here have flat faces and horrible edges with chunks missing.
I`d sometimes like to be a fly on the wall and see how other people work and what caused the wear/damage.The one with deep pits on the body that made it look like it was attacked by ferromites was particularly interesting.
My musings for the day,glad to get it out of the way so early. :)

Back by the hardy and pritchel holes it appears that some previous user used the anvil as a table on which they drilled thru whatever they were working on. I'll probably have them filled, after properly pre-heating, by welding. I'll probably also dress the face with a sanding block, but NO MILLING! She's a big beasty...just right to sit beside that BIG Buffalo Forge I recently got!

Back by the hardy and pritchel holes it appears that some previous user used the anvil as a table on which they drilled thru whatever they were working on. I'll probably have them filled, after properly pre-heating, by welding. I'll probably also dress the face with a sanding block, but NO MILLING! She's a big beasty...just right to sit beside that BIG Buffalo Forge I recently got!

That far back on the heel? They are behind the hardy in the picture. Leave them be, you may like them for setting rivets or something to make a prettier head, otherwise I doubt they will be in the way for anything. It would be a lot of work to fill those anyways.

Phil

To Sam
I agree with Thomas! The "step" on the feet are a giveaway that it's a Peter Wright. In addition to the one I just bought, my anvil at work in the Northern Forest Heritage Park, in Berlin,NH is a PW!

Thanks Bear and Thomas.
It's nice to know thart I ended up with a quality anvil.
Cheers
Sam

I found this one on the CT Craigslist last year. Haven't put together a stand for it yet I currently use a 160 lbs. Peter Wright. Those are the only markings on it.
Got it from a real fair guy who deals in military surplus items. It was in a lot with a bunch of Snap on tool sets.

Dick

post-6796-060979900 1273715785_thumb.jpg

post-6796-037486500 1273715795_thumb.jpg

I found this one on the CT Craigslist last year. Haven't put together a stand for it yet I currently use a 160 lbs. Peter Wright. Those are the only markings on it.
Got it from a real fair guy who deals in military surplus items. It was in a lot with a bunch of Snap on tool sets.

Dick

That looks like a Brooks anvil. They are nice cast steel anvils.

Dick

That anvil looks pristine.
Those corners and edges look like they've never been used.
Sweet find.

Sam

I was going to say that it looks like my Vaughan anvil - except mine is only a 45kg.

Sam

I think Vaughan is the name they are now known by. They still manufacture balcksmithing tools under the name Vaughan. In the past they were named 'Brooks', 'John Brooks', and I think they were even marked 'JB' at one point.

And I thought I wasn't going to learn anything today ... shame on me.

I checked out the Vaughan website and they have LOTS of cool toys ... too bad they're all the way across the pond - shipping would be murder.
And you were right Brooks/Vaughan are cast steel anvils - no wonder I love my Vaughan.
Thanks Mark for the education - that was cool.

Sam, there is s little writeup about the Vaughan anvils in Anvils in America. That's where I got my information from.

I recently picked up a 280 pound Brooks and I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Hopefully this weekend. I'm sure I will enjoy it immensely...

That anvil looks pristine.
Those corners and edges look like they've never been used.
Sweet find.

Sam

Yes it is, not a mark on it. I look forward to trying it out. I hadn't search out the manufacturer yet, thanks Mark and Sam for the info.

Dick