I Forge Iron

They dont all have to be pretty!

nonjic

This started life as a 10mm thick lump of EN45 spring steel (Silicon Manganese steel)

I forged the handle, and stock removed the blade (for the freehand grinding practice)

Its bladesports 'cutting comp' specifications. 10" Blade, 5" handle, 2" blade depth. Handle is rubber, with stainless pins and forward lanyard tube.

A mate nicknamed her 'betty' when I was making her, on account shes xxxx ugly! - Knives like this are great to test the performace of the steel. Shes not sharpened in the pics below, but ive since put a fully polished convex edge on (3 micron compound for the final edge strop). It will hack through a 2 x 4 , and still 'push cut' a cigarette paper afterward, scary sharp :D

bet1.jpg

bet2.jpg

bet3.jpg

bet4.jpg

It may not be fancy but it's still well made, and quality is beauty.
I'd personally love to have a knife like this one in my collection.
And the best thing about it is that you'll never be afraid to use it.

Thanks, Karl.

• 2 months later...

Hi John :) You can't hide over here you know !

That's a sweet looking cutter mate,. It certainly looks a lot prettier than the last time I saw it. We've just got to work out a way to get you to take your BladeSports Certification with it now..

You think thats ugly ? Have you actually looked at the guys at the average 'do' at Owens ? lol