I Forge Iron

Forging leaves on a power hammer

Great set of pics and explanation. I do something very similar with bar stock for acorns and oak leaves. The oak leaves are fullered to provide the lobes and the acorn is shouldered to segregate the nut from the cup.

That anvil looks like one of those old German cathedral patterns - like those shown in Otto Schmirler's books.

post-27-12722481292984_thumb.jpg

Hope to add some more how-to, is the blueprints section where they should be posted?

The blueprint section doesn't seem to be active currently. You should contact Glenn on the Tuesday night blueprint procedures. I keep missing them :o but at least here in the forum, everyone can view them anytime. If you don't copy and save the Tuesday BPs, they go away by the end of the night :(

Thanks for the photo sequence. This process is a great alternative to getting blanks laser cut if you have a large quantity to forge. It would be cost effective to have the guys at the local steel yard shear the diamonds and there's still enough forging to keep it fun. Good stuff!

Very interesting! I use a lot of leaves in my work and usually pound them out of solid round stock under the power hammer. I like your technique and have not seen it before and I am going to give it a try. Thank you for shareing it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...