I Forge Iron

"Mirror made by one of 2 last blacksmiths in Australia"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of Blacksmiths Without Borders. Crack teams of highly skilled operatives could turn up at the world's trouble spots and mend things... Fix any bent railings, repair broken fireplace equipment and rout around for useful bits of scrap; all the while holding friendly discussions about the nature of 'hand-made' and the future of the craft. When the dust has settled and normality returned, the more ambitious of us could quote for some public art to commemorate the disaster.
Perhaps we could all live on a secret island somewhere in The Pacific and travel about in rockets, Fiery Furnace has a mobile forge, maybe he would lend it.

Good thinking Sam - We can build big search lights that project the shape of an anvil on the clouds so any country that needs us could send us a signal toot-sweet.

I'm a little concerned though, I don't look good in tights or a cape - could we just keep it to regular smithing clothes, with an apron sporting our fancy new logo? Oh, yeah - no monkeys as lovable side-kicks - I don't like monkeys . . .

Oh this is getting GOOD!

If I'm not careful I might start drinking lots of tea but I don't float like a butterfly, not even in water. I really like the pacific island headquarters, though I'm not sure about traveling in rockets driven by blacksmiths.:unsure: I'm sure we can find suitably cool rides though, who better to scrounge useful things?

While I think the anvil shaped spotlights is a fine idea I don't think our Pacific island is likely to be close enough to see them. Of course living a peaceful existance away from it all has it's own rewards. I mean it IS the age of satellite communications and Cell phones, though they're not nearly as cool. Maybe we could just put the island's emergency# in the spotlight? Seeing as 911 is taken how about 1018? The only thing lacking now is a snazzy catch phrase, how about, "Break your tup? Call us up!":D

Frosty the Lucky.

"Forgerons sans frontiers" just like "medicins sans frontiers"? Sounds good in French, but the concept of a co-operative world community doesn't seem like a very French idea given that country's record in the Pacific ( see Mururoa Atoll and Rainbow Warrior). As for the mirror, well it's another classic Ebay example of needing to examine the description VERY closely, both in regard to what has been said and to what has NOT been said.

Blacksmiths Without Borders,what we need is a catchy theme song.
That way if a disaster strikes and the power goes out you can just pick up a hammer,run to the nearest anvil and begin tapping out the intro to our theme song to summon help.Even if the help is needed a long ways off those blacksmiths who hear the anvil ringing will pick up their hammers and relay the message just like those island natives in the movies did with their hollow log drums("The blacksmiths are restless tonight").
The cape could be leather with BWB embossed on the side of an anvil for the logo and when you got to the work site you could just whip it around,tie it off and it would be your apron.We would have the BWB logo burned into the toes of our cool(literally) wooden forge shoes too.
Transportation would be by Landrover with a crane in the front and the(traditionally) hand forged "Smithcycle" in the back and a trailer forge towed behind.Wouldn`t need masks as we`d all be wearing those impact resistant,ultra-cool wraparound sun/safety glasses(which reflect both IR and UV rays) to protect our identities.
While a Pacific island sounds like a neat home base I think with most of the new breed of superheroes coming from urban areas a current or former steeltown would be apppropriate.
For the East Coast chapter I nominate Youngstown or Pittsburg.

Nothin` but possibilities here guys.

I really like the Blacksmiths without Borders tee shirt idea; Glenn, how much and how do I get one in XL?

Mainely, Bob; great idea on the anvil ringing relay. How do you propose to get that across the Pacific? How long to go around the world?

Last 2 blacksmiths in Australia, sad but hardly believable. I saw some guy advertising he was the only blacksmith working professionally in Maine; he doesn't get out much.

After careful deliberation(lasting approx 92 seconds)I came up with dolphins for the relay over water problem.They`re smart,come in close to shore and are just generally fun to be around.
I would have gone with whales as they can project sound further but there`s less of them,people fuss over them more,they have a shorter attention span than dolphins(it may just be that we`re smaller than they are so they don`t feel the need to pay attention to us) and the training bribes are bigger and messier with training whales.
There`s no scientific proof but I suspect whales can not be trusted with important tasks,they have too much on their minds and the attention span thing comes into play.I feel they`re more prone to things like ADHD than dolphins.
Excuse me now,I need to brew more coffee and my Mom`s calling me.No,actually it`s someone who claims to be my wife,wonder where she came from. :blink:

(Borders) Blacksmiths Without Borders
The shirts are white ink on a black 100% cotton shirt. Sizes are S, M, L, XL, is $15 for the shirt and $3 shipping. (2XL add $1, 3XL add $2).
Contact me PM or email for ordering information.

I was running the pacific Island super hero Blacksmiths Without Borders idea past Deb, especially the outfit sans tights. She reminded me capes are a BAD idea, they just get caught and hurt you oh say stand in front of our Supersmith's multi function portable forge vtol jet aircraft and see if a cape doesn't just suck you right into an engine!:o

Another thought on transport, it looks like the space shuttle is due to retire, we should be able to get the gvt to donate them to so useful and humanitarian a cause as Blacksmiths Without Borders! We have any accomplished grant proposal writers on the site?

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty - good idea on using the shuttles, and I think an anvil shaped satellite to relay our signals would work well. We could also have an orbiting platform manned by apprentices to keep our arch rivals under watch - we can call it Thor's Hammer . . .

Bob, great idea using the dolphins - they can also be our lovable side kicks - better than monkeys . . . I don't like monkeys . . . .

Now we're talking! Dolphins are far FAR cooler than monkeys for assistants and sidekicks so long as we can still have dogs. I love dogs as much as they love me. Monkey's can be entertaining though, maybe hve monkey cages lining the walkway to the ONLY door solicitors are allowed to knock on? ;)

An anvil shaped space station would be perfect and if we arm it with "project Thor" we'd get international respect BIG time! B)

Frosty the Lucky.

Thor?
I thought that was what happened to your arm after a long day of forging. :blink:

Maybe if we had the monkey cages all lined up behind an air actuated barrier and set up a laser line about half way down the walkway so that the solicitors would be at the half way point before the barrier raised and the monkeys saw them then the clean up duty would be worth it.We`d have to video it of course,purely for instructional purposes

I agree about dogs,I thought the dog thing was a given.You see all sorts of disaster dogs on the news and all.
Can`t picture traveling without Otis,the Chief of Security(and Emperor of the Universe)with me.
Who`d fetch the squeak toys and tennis balls when we threw them?
Dogs,yep dogs for sure. :D

It's amazing. This all started with a bogus add for a "forged" mirror, and now I'm waiting patiently for a classic, original issue "Blacksmiths without Borders" tee shirt. Wow, I got in on the ground floor; I was here when it started. I'm in awe of the power of coal smoke!

What else? Oh yeah, I really like dogs too but I have cats.

Gee - and I came up with the "BWOB" phrase because I thought I was responding to a true crisis in Australia but the real international color of our community showed through . . .laugh.gif

Well, it just goes to show . . . "Where there's smoke, there's Blacksmiths . . ."