I Forge Iron

Twisting square tubing

HI, just wondering if square tubing can be twisted in the same way a square bar can.
This may sound elementary but i never had the oppotunity to try, I'm in the middle of making a coat rack (on legs)and i'd like the middle post to be at least 1" square stock. The legs are already quite heavy so tubing seemed like an option, a little easier on the wallet also.

Thanks !!
Naz.

What they do to make trombones and trumpets (and I'm guessing the other brass instruments) is they mix a lot of soap into water, fill the pipe and freeze it. That way when they bend it, it doesn't collapse.

I don't know if you could nicely twist 1" square tubing cold this way, but I thought this might give you an idea. :P

Cheers,
T.

ive twisted tubeing and it works to a point .. get it good and hot and leave lots of room ... if you go to far it will colapse . ive used round tube inside to try to keep it from colapseing .. it kinda worked ... i used it inside and it was cold it cooled off the pipe so i had to work quick... ive also tapered square tube and twisted it for a candle holder ... it looked good !

I have seen it done quite easily by heating the tubing, slipping it over a piece of pipe, and then twisting. The pipe keeps the tubing from collapsing, though as it is stretching, the flats will come in a little, giving a bit of a fluted look. The pipe can be held in a vise with a stand positioned so that when you slip the tubing over the pipe,it will slide into the twisting wrench on the one end. Have the other twisting wrench ready to do the twist. Remember also that as it cools, the tubing will shrink, don't want to have it stick on the pipe, so get it done quickly and get it off. you might want to run through it cold a couple times.

Good luck with the project, Doc Johnson

I do the controlled collapse thing, knock in the centre of the 4 flats to form gentle valleys, (on inch square i do about 6-8mm) then heat and twist. (carefully). same for bending.
I have seen the the inserted bar thing work, and tried it once, i welded a piece of square bar on the end for a non collapsing grip, and cut it of when finnished.
Tube is a very swedgable medium, with very pretty results. just careful on the cooling, ...that you dont have it aimed your way for a jet of steam.

I've use solid bar of a much smaller dimension down the centre, helps to keep the tube straight and stops it collapsing completely,

Heat the tube first, then secure it in vice or whatever, slide in bar and twist the outer tube, then remove bar while still hot,

If the bar is longer than the tube, it can eaily be removed or driven out if contraction when cooling does trap it.

There will be a demonstrator at the ABANA conference in Memphis June 2-5. I think her name is Shelly Thomas she makes furniture using twisted and forged tubing. If you are unable to make the conference perhaps she has a website. I think she lives in the UK.

There will be a demonstrator at the ABANA conference in Memphis June 2-5. I think her name is Shelly Thomas she makes furniture using twisted and forged tubing. If you are unable to make the conference perhaps she has a website. I think she lives in the UK.

Yes , I've seen her site before, that's awsome work (imagine the hours). Thanks !
Naz.