I Forge Iron

Slack tubs in freezing weather

Jeff Mack

A floating stock tank heater works really well. I have a 55 gallon slack tub and even if it does freeze lightly, the tank heater will thaw it ( sometimes temps drop kinda quick or I forget ). As with all things, care should be used when using electricity and water ( read the warning tag on the heater and enclosed warning statements ).

I used to use a fence post (one of the T-shaped metal ones), when the slack tub would freeze overnight, I'd just lift out the chunk of ice that was then frozen to the T post. Granted, you lose a little water, but it saved me getting wet in winter trying to knock a hole in the ice:)

Now this winter, it might not be a problem, seeing as the dogs like to drink all the water outta the slacktub, despite the gallon bowl of water next to their food...

• 2 months later...

Freezing slack tubs??? I don't think so. Not here at least. Half the State is on fire cos of the weather. I half expect a helicopter to drop it's snorkel into the tub and suck it dry. They're allowed to get fire fighting water from wherever they like...farm dams, reservoirs, swimming pools etc, and at the rate these are drying up on account of the drought, slack tubs might be all that's left.

Still, I'm half a world away from places that freeze over in December. Nonetheless Glenn, I'll keep an eye out for hard stuff lying across the tub for the next cuppla months ;)

It's been cold out west, but you guys talking about keeping your slack tubs from freezin' is making me shiver...Today was actually quite nice during the day out here, if it makes you feel any better guys! I was happy to get my overalls off and get my shorts and sandals back on after leaving the smithy today!

My slack tub freezes solid every winter and if I was to heat it the with an electic tank heater the cost would be phenonimal. I however once read that the makers of damascas steel would hold the knife up to be hardened by winter winds. I tried cooling in the really cold air, and in the snow. The air works well but you have to keep the steel moving in the snow otherwise the snow acts as an insulator. Oh yes I also built a wood fire under my metal slack tub probably the best solution.

Generally the only time I use water in the shop is to cool tooling and a coffeecan does fine for that; also to localize a heat and a coffeecan of water and a bucket to pour it over does fine for that.

What are folks using big slacktubs for nowdays that A36 can sometimes harden and break if quenched?

Thomas

My slack tub is about 3 ft long, 10 inches wide at the top and 8 inches wide at the bottom with a V bottome made out of 12 gauge SS and about 20 inches tall with the top edges bent in and down a bit to keep water from sloping or boiling out. Its that size so I can quench a whole plow lay or a big shredder blade. I use it for everything else too.

1400.attach

I keep a barrel in the shop. Full of water. I have no need to hog it over and try to drain it when cold weather comes. I use water for coal and I also ( from time to time ) need to cool a fairly big piece + other uses as well. I sometimes heat treat in it as well ( thank you for the edit button return :) )

Ah yes...frozen slack tubs.I have one of those,frozen solid.I've had one of those every winter. I take a small bucket of water from my house[providing it ain't froze too] to the shop to use as quench. I dump it when I'm done...usually.I have on occasion, had 2 frozen slack tubs.:)Life in northern Canada.However not only do we walk on water,heck we drive trucks and Cats and all kinds of stuff on it.Now..if I could just change this water into wine...ah ha ice wine!

• 11 months later...

Well flying for the winter is a great idea...if your a duck, I used to use a 5 gal. bucket which was no big deal to dump when done for the day but when I started doing bigger work I got an old wooden wine barrel and cut it in 1/2 and use one half as my slack tub, the barrel was around 70 gal give or take, so I have around 35 gal or more slack tub, so dumping it isn't really an option.
I had thought about a heater but really want to keep from raising the elec. bill any, which is why I also decided against putting air from the compressor into it for bubbles.
Dish soap doesn't really protect too low....I don't think any way, anybody know how low? Which is why I ended up at the rv anti-freeze, and it isn't designed for cooling purposes, just for freeze protection, plus no enviromental issues. But as I said, I'm not sure what if any affect it would have on the quench.

welder19