I Forge Iron

Japanese Blacksmiths at work

Hey guys, just thought that you would all enjoy these videos.

To view the videos click on the names at the top of the page.

Noko - Video of a smith making a hand saw.

NokoGiri - Video on another type of saw being made.

Kanna - Video of Japanese first smithing a plane blade, and then of the "Die" maker making the plane body or "Die" .

Genno - Blacksmith making a hammer.

All videos are in Japanese, but I think you'll be able to see what is going on and understand it by watching it.

Link> http://web.mac.com/nami_aru/Daiku/%E3%81%84%E3%82%89%E3%81%A3%E3%81%97%E3%82%83%E3%81%84.html

Enjoy!

OK.....

I have a Mac, and got an addon for Firefox that allows me to download the videos, now I have permanent vids.

I find their abilities and calm demeanor kind of unsettling, shows me their dedication to a craft amazing and tranquil. Or maybe it is just me.

Since my Japanese is a little rusty I hope someone will be able to get an over dub for them.

I would like to know if anyone knows what the flux the hammer maker was adding to join the "tool steel" to the body was. Also, what was the greenish liquid put onto the faces before hardening.

There seems a huge cultural difference in the way that the customer feels about the product. I know that people will buy pattern welded swords or knives but I don't think that there would be a huge market for hand made saws in the west. No matter how beautifully made, there can only be a very limited number of people who appreciate the skill involved and are prepared to pay the price. The Japanese seem to imbue these kinds of things with an extrinsic, mystical quality.
Does anyone know what they are used for? Is there an ancient sect of warrior tree surgeons that roam the country in search of the eternal truths?

There seems a huge cultural difference in the way that the customer feels about the product. I know that people will buy pattern welded swords or knives but I don't think that there would be a huge market for hand made saws in the west. No matter how beautifully made, there can only be a very limited number of people who appreciate the skill involved and are prepared to pay the price. The Japanese seem to imbue these kinds of things with an extrinsic, mystical quality.
Does anyone know what they are used for? Is there an ancient sect of warrior tree surgeons that roam the country in search of the eternal truths?

Disagree (1), I got the link to the videos from a blog run by a man who makes western saws by hand. He sells them for a pretty penny. He had to stop taking orders because he was so back logged. That I know of there are about no less than five people around the country who make hand made saws. All of these people are making a decent living and have not stopped working because of the recession.

Here are links to two sawmakers that I like. The fist one is where I got these videos from and the second one is another well respected maker.

Link 1> http://www.eccentricwoodcraft.com/page3_toolworks.html

Link 2> http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/

Well there are two classes of buyers for stuff like that---the true apex craftsmen to which the tools are worth the price!
And the wannabe's to which the tools show off that they have the money but may get little use at all.

A lot like the custom guitar world where some of the fanciest hand made guitars may see the least actual playing...

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found out what the sticky flux is... It is laffite plate.....applied between the two surfaces to be welded at red heat with a few light hammer blows to make it properly stick then and welding heat...the norm.

alec ph34r.gif

I have attached a grab of the document also saying the website.

The Japanese smith in the video of the plane blade dipped the tool steel in a liquid and pressed it into a powder flux of some sort and then placed it on the iron which was preheated. At that point it was put back in th forge and taken to welding heat. This could not have been "Laffite Plate". However it seemed to act like it in that it did seem to adhere the steel to the iron. I would also like to know what this flux is.

Bill

Traditional Japanese smiths typically used a mixture of fine fresh rice straw ash (very high in silicates)and clay as their flux. as for the liquid that was painted on the face of the hammer my guess would be clay. This thin film of clay would prevent scaling/oxidation at the elevated temperatures needed for hardening, but could be rinsed off esily in order to observe the color of the face of the hammer durring tempering.