I Forge Iron

Made some tools

Got some work done yesterday. It was lots of fun. I made some tools. Had done the hold fast several days ago and sure am glad I did. When I was working on the nail header, which I’m going to have to do over, it sure came in handy. The spring fuller gave me a small amount of trouble getting all the bends in it right. But I was able to straighten it back out to the point I was able to rework it and get it right. It works very well. I used it on the piece that I show on the anvil in the last shot. Also used it on the nail header, and bent the end down some, but I don’t think that is an issue.

I started my day working with the gas forge, but after about an hour it was frozen up and only putting out about 3 psi. It’s been in the mid 20’s in the shop. So, I shut it down and fired up the coal/break drum forge and promptly burnt some metal. Ok, lesson learned. Don’t let the metal sit in the forge that long. I used mild steel for everything. I’m pretty satisfied with everything except the one hook that I broke the end off of, and the nail header.

post-9027-12697332699448_thumb.jpg

post-9027-12697332883393_thumb.jpg

post-9027-12697333170501_thumb.jpg

post-9027-12697333254557_thumb.jpg

Looking pretty good Bryan. I agree with Mike, giving the end of the spring fuller a little upwards bend will make it a lot easier to feed.

Also, if you put your propane tank in the slack tub it won't freeze on you. Just make sure it can't tip over sideways, there's NOTHING like having a good jolt of liquid propane shooting into your hot forge to make things . . . INTERESTING. :o Seriously, just tie or bungee it so it stays vertical and you'll be fine.

Heck, my 100lb tank froze up last Saturday but it was only about 1-2 gls from empty so it wasn't a surprise.

Frosty the Lucky.

Gee Bryan...you keep at it and before long, you'll know what you're doing... :P Your work is coming along just fine, looks good.

Ya wouldn't that be kick. I would love to know what the heck I'm doing. Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot to me.

I would take the last inch of the top rail of the spring fuller, and bend it up about 15 degrees. This would ease feeding hot stock into the system

Thanks for the tip Mike and Frosty, I'll make sure I do that next time in the shed. Should be easy enough.

I know I need to put the tank in some water. I haven't had time to find one big enough for my 30# tank. I just use a small bucket for my slack tub it sure is not big enough to put the tank in.

Right on,Bryan,i agree with the consensus that you're progressing nicely.Way to go.

The #25's and 30's are a pain,exept in the summer,be nice to have a #100'er.

Also,too bad that you don't have a crank-blower.Cranking really engages one to the process instead of just waiting for the work to get hot.Saves fuel,and makes burning the work very rare.

Anyhoo,keep up the great work!

Thanks Jake that means a lot to me. I've been looking for a hand crank blower but I am quite sure I won't find one here. I think there may be a way I can get one thats made in China from a guy on another site. He plans on getting some and reselling them. But he has to get 35 people before he can make an order. It would be about $50 plus shipping. But he has no idea about CFM. So it may not be a good purchase. In the mean time I keep looking.

Bryan,i'm sorry-it's wrong to suggest that you go out of your way for yet more gear,when obviously you've already gone quite beyond the call of duty with that anvil,and even the factory gas forge.You've certainly enough to work with,and yet,the crank is such a RIGHT tool...
You haven't,by chance,ask old man Dick,at the AK Feed?He'd be the first on my FBKS list.Also,now that you're settled in the area,sometime you may want to check out the Fbks Antique Engine Club.They're a group of mostly retired machinists/mechanics/welders,working on restoring old FM makes-and-breaks,and the like.There're a few smiths in that crowd,and stuff changes hands on occasion.The person to contact would be Roy Wilbur,at Wilbur Bros.Sheetmetal,neatest guy to meet in his own right.
The Chinese blower might be good,never heard of one,but the commie tools were usually sound(if not the prettiest),they did use them,longer then the rest of the world.
Very best of luck,hope that it works out somehow,and you're doing great regardless.
Take care,Jake.

Thats quite alright Jake, I just love new toys, I mean tools. I have plans in my head to someday actually make one. So, who knows. At some point I'll get one. Thats a good idea about Dick at Alaska Feeds. I have his phone number. Wouldn't be hard to get hold of him and find out if he has something like that laying around. As far as going out of my way. Nope, I don't feel like that at all. I feel very lucky and blessed to have the resources to have gotten the anvil and gas forge. My mom wanted me to follow this path after she found out how much it meant to me. As I was caring for her in her final time her with us. Her artistic ability and love of art inspired me to begin this journey. That's why I named my forge after her. And why I was able to afford what I have. Sadly, she is gone. But her spirit and love of live and art made me want to be artistic too. I am a good draftsman. I can draw plans. But, unfortunately not all that artistic. So this is a way for me to express myself that way. Plus I really like playing with fire.

Thanks Alec, I'm getting things done. Or at least trying to.

Freezing temps? Not here, 40's in the mornings and 70's during the day. Been really nice the past few days. I enjoy these temperate days while they last, pretty soon it will be 100's every day with lows in the 80's :blink: . I think spring is only like 2 weeks here with a 6 month summer :P. No skeeters though, which is good since I sleep outside on a hammock during the summer.

My Dad was my inspiration for a lot of what I do now. Both of my parents were crafty, and through them I learned quite a few skills. I always appreciated how they encouraged me to do what I liked to do. My Dad told me about how some of the neighbor kids would ask " Sgt Hess, can I build a model at your home?" because their mothers didn't want them making a mess at their house. There was always something going on at our house. Woodcarvings, leather projects, metalwork, drawing, etc. Mom said it was a good thing that she hated house work with everything that went on there.

You mention not being that artistic. Just being around artists can be helpful. I am a member of the Vegas Artist Guild. One of the members has been severely disabled from birth, and is confined to a wheelchair. As such she needs constant assistance. Her companion accompanies her to the guild meetings, and over time has developed his own artistic abilities. When he started coming he admitted to not being artistic at all, but being immersed in a creative environment like the guild he found a medium that spoke to him. He has done well enough that he gave the monthly program a couple o months ago. I don't think one can learn to be artistic, but one discovers the artistic style that they already have.

This time of year freezing is a GOOD day in interior Alaska, I'm thinking it's still dropping sub zero pretty frequently. North Pole is a LONG way from the coast and the Japanese current's tempering influence with the Arctic ocean just a bit north.

Here in Meadow Lakes we're only 4-5 air miles from Cook Inlet with it's 32'+ tides so our winters are a lot more temperate. Right now it's unlikely to hit sub zero at night but not impossible so I don't tempt mother nature by coming out and saying it won't happen this time of year. March can be a hard core season here. <_<

Frosty the Lucky.

Ya, Frosty is exactly right. Today it was 40f a great temperature. Tonight the forecast is for it to drop to 12f. So still pretty cold here. I was able to get some more forging done today. Nothing fancy, made a nice looking S hook, a little J hook and a clip to put a hammer or two onto the anvil with. Still working on basics to get them down correctly.