I Forge Iron

where to buy copper sheet

hey guys i was wondering if anyone has a lead on copper sheet at a resonable price for making bowls etc. would like some 3/16 for a heavy salad bowl or the like. I am in south central pennsylvania close to chambersburg where they once made the big power hammers.
thanks
kyle

http://www.metalsource.com/

This is where I get copper sheet, small retail outlet selling the waste from a large metal company (their "scrap" can sometimes be 8 feet long). It's in Massachusetts but ship by UPS. Don't know if this helps you at all, but thought I'd post it.

Mark

I normally go to a roofing supply company for copper just bought a hundred pounds yesterday at $9.86 a pound. Wherever you find it, get enough prices always go up in the summer.

WOW!! and I thought the $2.65 p/Lb I paid last year for scrap copper was high.....What I pught was a piece of 2"x2"sq, 2"rd x 4"lg, and a piece of 3/32" x 16" x 16", all for a total of $60.00. The place is in Dallas, TX. Sorry, I can't recall the name.

WOW!! and I thought the $2.65 p/Lb I paid last year for scrap copper was high.....What I pught was a piece of 2"x2"sq, 2"rd x 4"lg, and a piece of 3/32" x 16" x 16", all for a total of $60.00. The place is in Dallas, TX. Sorry, I can't recall the name.

Wait a second you're right it was 2'x50' 16 oz. copper which comes in at 100 lbs at 9.86 a ft not sq ft, I didn't pay a grand for it my bad try 500 bucks. Now this is not scrap what I buy, I wish I could pay scrap prices. Just don't go to places like metal supermarkets and the likes or you'll pay 3 times more. I imagine 4 to 5 bucks a pound new is about average and half that for scrap.

A word about copper and food. Copper oxide is toxic above a very small amount so using copper for food has been illegal for all but a couple exceptions for at least a couple decades. Copper is allowed for some candy work and whipping eggs. The acidity of a salad dressing will disolve any copper oxide on the bowl and put it right in the salad. No dressing you say? Tomato juice is pretty acidic all by itself and so are things like radishes, onion or some of the more flavorful greens.

Be very careful using copper around food.

Frosty the Lucky.

on the other hand tinning of copper cookware is fairly easy and cheap!

Absolutely right you are and falls under the Be careful heading. I don't know why I didn't think to include tinning in my previous post. I'm blaming it on trying to catch a falling tree with my head. Boy am I getting tired of the reminders though!

Thanks for the backstop Thomas.

Frosty the Lucky.

hey guys thanks for the information on the copper. If you seal the copper with a food safe clear coat wouldnt it be ok then? And I am pretty sure that All Clad cookware makes a complete copper line of pans etc.