I Forge Iron

Bugs attacking my anvil stump

Arrrgghhh.....I was sorting out the piles in the smithy, preping for some limited forging time this weekend, when I noticed a stream of sawdust running down the side of my anvil stump, and a pile of sawdust on the ground. This is a California Black Oak stump under my PW. I've got many hours of time invested in flattening and prepping this stump and I'm NOT gonna let the bugs (bug) get it.

In the immediate moment, I splashed some lacquer thinner on the hole and then tipped the oil can into the hole till the oil ran down the side.

what's my next step? Polyurythane the whole thing? boric Acid wash?

Way too much work just in getting a decent sized log section to let it go.

Appreciate any suggestions.

post-182-12689353350758_thumb.jpg

Herw's a method I've used. Non toxic and reasonably safe.

Soak it a gallon or a couple of gallons of full strength Clorox bleach.

Dick B

Arrrgghhh.....I was sorting out the piles in the smithy, preping for some limited forging time this weekend, when I noticed a stream of sawdust running down the side of my anvil stump, and a pile of sawdust on the ground. This is a California Black Oak stump under my PW. I've got many hours of time invested in flattening and prepping this stump and I'm NOT gonna let the bugs (bug) get it.

In the immediate moment, I splashed some lacquer thinner on the hole and then tipped the oil can into the hole till the oil ran down the side.

what's my next step? Polyurythane the whole thing? boric Acid wash?

Way too much work just in getting a decent sized log section to let it go.

Appreciate any suggestions.

My neighbor's son is an exterminator and he had two suggestions, number one: burn the stump, not a good one, number two: non-toxic version, black plastic bag set in sunny spot and get temperature up to 130 degree Fahrenheit for 8 hours. <_< Sounds a bit strange to me but he said it works. My anvil stand it 12" box tube. B)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I pulled the anvil and bagged the stump out on the patio. A couple good sunny day's (no guarantee of that here in Northern Cal) and we'll see what happens. I'll move onto the borax, then clorox and the stronger nasty chemicals after that.

I found it very hard to find logs of any appreciable size in the suburbs and I've got some time invested in this one.

I would love to find one of those old 30 gallon oil cans and mostly fill it with sand as an anvil stand too.

I would love to find one of those old 30 gallon oil cans and mostly fill it with sand as an anvil stand too.

Call up your repair shops and 10 minute oil change places. Many get 15 or 16 gallon drums that do not have a core charge for transmission fluid and such. About 14 inch diameter.
Phil