I Forge Iron

Drive Gate

Dillon Sculpture

• 2 weeks later...

A little further along but I lost some time to my discontent in the forging.

The 1/4" plate going on with blind rivets. Cut outs and forged design is next for the plate.

The first set of leaves were forged from 1 3/4" x 3" x 13" a lot of back and forth from the forged to the hammer. I felt the mark making was to random, to messed with, didn't like them. Some of the best natural forms I've made have been the simplest more stylized pieces.

The second pair were forged from 1 1/2" x 4" x 13" and the tooling was left in one place to leave a very decisive mark with no fiddling. I think they show the power of the hammer as well the simple nature of the thing.

Top gate hinge form 1 1/2" round, bronze bushed.

Another week should do it, yep they have a party the 13th.

I really would like to put that on my card, "I DONT DO PARTIES"

post-2769-12673020629602_thumb.jpg

post-2769-12673020809689_thumb.jpg

post-2769-12673020988072_thumb.jpg

post-2769-1267302116758_thumb.jpg

Like the gate.Looking forward to seeing pics of it all tacked together with the cut out plate in place.

What I really want to know about is that hardtail frame and wheel on the other work table.What kind project you got goin` there?
Still also waiting for a pic of the right side of that pan too.From the pic of the primary side that`s one choice machine!

I really would like to put that on my card, "I DONT DO PARTIES"

Michael,
The design is really shaping up nicely. I like this version of the leaves.

I know what you mean about parties. I need to have two gates finished for my current clients' 60th birthday party on the 27th. Food, drinks and a band at his house overlooking San Diego bay. He stopped by the shop last week to give me an invitation to the party. The invitation has a disclaimer that reads "if the gates are not completed before the 27th, this invitation is invalid". ;)
DB

Mike your design looks good to me with the bottom plate blocking out for the centerpiece it should look complete

the design looks english to me, like something I have seen before in someway

the craftsmanship looks top notch

hopefully it doesnt kill you to produce it to your standards in such a short period of time

• 2 weeks later...

Welding in the rain?

Length of pipe(aluminum if possible,easier to handle and hurts less when it hits you)with a bull plug welded at one end so as not to cut thru the tarp you string over it when using it as the center post of your make shift awning/shelter.
Ropes and shorter poles from corners as needed,Bungee cords everywhere else to stretch the tarp and still give alittle in the wind.
Someone like you could make something along the lines of those poles that was capable of telescoping together and then collapsing small enough to be stored neatly in a truck or trailer bed.Wrap the poles with the folded tarp and tie the bundle with the guy ropes.A couple of the bungees hold it either to the truck rack or the trailer sides if space is at a premium.
If you get wet setting it up then just get some pallets locally to throw down on the ground and keep you(or your helper) from getting shocked as bad.

The rubber gloves inside the welding gloves sounds like a good idea too and they would fit in the glove compartment. :)

welding in the rain? keep your gloves dry, try not to complete the circuit through your body (don't hold on to work while welding or holding a hot stinger) use a weed burner to dry stuff off before you weld, stay away from low hydrogen electrodes innershield wire like nr 211 would be a good choice or 6011 stick (good ol farm rod burns through dirt oil rust)
more pictures after installed would be great

For about $100 there are these articulated pop up canopies, they unfold almost like an umbrella and have the plastic/canvass already on the frame. Just extend the legs. I think at that price it is only 6ft x 6ft. The one I used set up and came down in about 5 minutes by myself and a whole lot less with help.
Phil