I Forge Iron

Drive Gate

Dillon Sculpture

Thanks for your kind words, I wasn't sure the 1/4" plate cutouts were going to work, a far departure from what is expected in the classical iron repertoire. The gates looks totally different from the back, I will try and get some more shots, I was actually invited to the party this time.

Thanks for your kind words, I wasn't sure the 1/4" plate cutouts were going to work, a far departure from what is expected in the classical iron repertoire. The gates looks totally different from the back, I will try and get some more shots, I was actually invited to the party this time.

I was thinking about the style of this piece. Hard to define in a good way. I think it must be a Dillon original.

In time for the "party" just need some dryer weather to touch up the paint and get some more shots. Thinking about some gilders paste to bring in a warmer tone of color, anybody use the stuff outside before? How does it hold up?

Nice work there Danger. Pushing at the bounds .... literally

Did you get them hot dipped galvanise or zinc sprayed? If galv'd, did you have any issues with distortion, I did some gates that had 1/8 sheet as part of the design and the amount of warping (mainly dishing) due to heat from the zinc bath was unbelievable. Can't remember if it was hot rolled or colled rolled sheet I used (might have made a difference?) but it's made me wary of using sheet.

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear feedback re the gilders paste, some of the metallics are very effective.

Primed and paint, haven't got into hot galv. but a friend of mine does spray transfer, been wanting to look into it for some time now.

Might be worth getting a test piece done first if you ever get any gates with sheet galvanised. Better to learn then than the hard way. My experience could have been disasterous. Fortunately the bow in both leaves was the same and the custmer just assumed it was part of the design. It might not be an issue with thicker sheet but it's worth checking out.

As I've heard many times zinc is zinc. It may be worth sussing out hot zinc spraying. They bead blast the gates and then spray finely atomised molten zinc onto the works. i guess this is spray transfer. It's a much finer finish than hot dipped galvanising and theres none of the issues of paint not sticking to it as with fresh galv. Disadvantages are it doesn't get into every nook and crevice like hot galv, which also gets into the inside of box section.

Over on this side of the pond our weather kinda means rustproofing is a must with outside work.

I use a two part epoxy in all the wicking areas, a rust inhibitor primmer wile all the parts are apart, top coat and then assemble. I have a gate at 10 yrs. without a touch up it shows minimal rust. I feel like the owners should maintain the iron with a paint job every 5 years or so, but with the size of material in this gate I believe it will be around awhile.

Very beautiful work! Thank you for sharing. DO you have any idea how much each gate weighs? Also, I'm very curious about the cutouts. They look to be a great idea to relieve the expanse of flat metal. Do you have some closeup pices of them that you'd share?
Thanks again

I`ve been looking at the pics of this gate and trying to figure what I want to say.
I finally figured it out.I`m speechless.

I aspire to developing my eye to the level you have not only attained but seem to effortlessly incorporate into everything you undertake,and that includes the bikes.
I am very much looking forward to seeing your latest 2 wheeled project in it`s new clothes.

Just one suggestion bike wise as you seem to be reaching back in time on this.
First a shovel,then a pan,now a knucklehead.Ever thought about saving yourself some money and time and just buying a J model motor and trans and building a board track racer? ;)

• 3 months later...

Those gates look hot, you are'nt messing around trying to save a few bucks on cheap and cheerful can't wait to see the end result. As for welding in the rain use Tig, that way you really know when you complete the circut! Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...