I Forge Iron

Horizontal Trip Hammer

Does anyone know anytning about horizontal trip hammers, never seen one before and wanted to know more about them its a 1903 Horizontal trip hammer without the motor and in good shape what you guys think its worth and what kinda uses would it be good for? Thanks guys

Angus...

Angus - Do you mean one like the one I rebuilt? This is a picture of the 1903 Hawkeye helve hammer all but done, I just need to make the die keys and then it's ready for running with a motor I have that is a 1937 IH water hopper cooled throttle governed gas engine.

*** The dies and keys are now installed and it has been running a few times for demos - JK

post-280-12652494478686_thumb.jpg

Very interesting , so what is the differances between a beam design and say a standard upright LG? Is it striking power? what is the comparable weight rating on beam hammers like this, or how would you calculate it? Seems like this would be a nice compact design for a small shop .
Chris

I would think the floor footprint would be a bit larger with the beam hammer over the upright type. Jeremy's hammer is beautiful. Personally I worry about the flat belt running so close to the floor. I wonder if the shop dog would have an abbrieviated tail after a few days.

Very interesting , so what is the differances between a beam design and say a standard upright LG? Is it striking power? what is the comparable weight rating on beam hammers like this, or how would you calculate it? Seems like this would be a nice compact design for a small shop .
Chris

Chris - As with most differences between power hammers - when they were the craze, the differeces were to get around patents of other types but still do the same thing. Ratings - that's hard to compare a helve vs a verticle. My helve is rated for 2" round(on ocassion mind you - 1" on a more regular basis efficiently). The footprint of the Hawkeye I have is 30" x 60" vs. roughly 24"x36" of a 50lb LG - JK

This is a picture of the Hawkeye Helve hammer as it looked when I purchased it. Everything was rusted tight rock solid, nothing at all moved.

post-280-1265311561944_thumb.jpg

Jeremy, what did you pay pre restoration if you don't mind sharing? I would buy a project piece like that quick if I had cash in hand. Easier for me to buy and rebuild/refurbish than purchase a working machine sometimes, and I like ressurecting old tools ect.
Chris

Chris - The purchase price is only part of getting a hammer, unless it's a total plug and play deal. It's entirely up to you what your willing to pay vs. how much you want or need to stick into it to have it peform the way you need/or want. Also it's up to you to put the total top price on what you want to spend completely on the hammer.
I enjoyed rebuilding the hammer as it was a total mess when I got it. It's a workable show piece that will last at least another 100 years or at least my lifetime +. I'm glad I could have the opportunity to salvage this piece of history and make it work again. Thats what it means to me :D - JK

Dang, Jeremy. That's so pretty I think I'd be afraid to use it for fear of scratching it. That is, unless you're like an old Idaho farmer a friend of mine used to work for. The ol' boy went into town and bought a brand new pickup. He drove it into the yard, got out, grabbed a hammer and banged a dent into the door with it. Then he said " Well, now I don't hafta worry about the first scratch!" and went in the house.

No I havnt yet I am hopefully going to take a Look at it monday and them im hopeing the guy will waight to sell it until my taxes come back. Even if its not in great shape i think it would be worth the money to get it and referbish it to make it new.

If ya dont pick it up ide be interested in it.. a couple of years ago i was looking for one of those hammers..they look like fun to run!

Hey Eric if your serious about wanting a Hawkeye hammer I have one for sale that I think is better than the one in the posting... Shoot me an email and I'll send you some pictures... Are you coming up to the spring conference?