I Forge Iron

Horizontal Trip Hammer

Monster - There is no # markings on mine - I'm assuming mine is the smaller of the 2 sizes made due to the fact that the larger one does have a cast pivot post. The parts seemed to have changed alot as with other hammers frequently during production. The few pics I have of other hawkeye hammers have slightly different castings for the pivot, helve adjustment clamp, anvil supports.... well everything but the dupont style spring linkages and the crankshaft castings.
When I got mine everything looked to be original and a few parts were corroded enough that I had to replace them. Mine had a "T" shaped profile of the steel the brake was made from - I duplicated that. The only thing that really looks recently fabricated on mine is the pivot yoke on the arm, and the helve clamps(only cause they are made from steel plate). I was going to make it look a little less fabricated by relieving the corners and such but I was under a time crunch to get it going for a hammer-in so it stayed as fabricated - If I get the ambition to modify anything on that hammer that's what I'd do, other wise I'm happy with it the way it is. All but 2 of the original bolts came loose - the 2 broke upon removal attemps. Anyway - I could go on... here's a pic of the main bearings after being poured :

http://www.farwestforge.com/Forum/bsgview.php?photo=1503&cat=&by=Jeremy K

scroll down for more pics of the restoration in my gallery in the above link - Jeremy K

Looking at Monsters' Hawkeye pics, I noticed that the drawing dies look to have different radius's. I have an old JDH mechanical 25# hammer I need to finish, it has similiar dies, the top die has a smaller radius. Intuition tells me this would work good to make curved hockey sticks, but it seems like it would be difficult to do an even taper without constant correction. Was this die set-up good for plow work or something?

Mike - Yes - plow share cutting edge re-shaping was what most power hammers were advertised and used for in the late 1800's and begining to mid 1900's - as it was a time saver and considered a luxury tool to have by prominent blacksmith shops. - JK

I also have a Hawkeye similar to MonsterMetal's. It has drawing dies, but with similar radii top and bottom. It came from a shop in Columbus, NJ. Shop burnt down years ago. Somehow the hammer was removed prior to the fire. They were know for making corn knives. I actually picked up some marked knives that were made on the hammer pre-1920. I do not think my hammer has the dual pivit on the top arm. I will look tomorrow. I have not set it up yet, but have plans to.

Monster - I'm not a collector of H/M engines just in need of a larger one for this Hawkeye - want a 3-5hp.

As Far as I know - there was not an option for the double holes on the pivot from the factory - I've never seen that on any other helve hammer or in pictures. My guess was that the one hole became worn out and another was put in for current use???? Just a guess though. JK

Well I didnt get that Hawkeye, instead I told a friend of mine about what I was looking at and he said he had something I would be interested in. So we went out to his shop and he showed me a treddle hammer and the best thing about it it was free so I decided not to buy the hawkeye free vs $1500 I think is a hell of a deal. Thanks for all the help guys.

Monster - I'm not a collector of H/M engines just in need of a larger one for this Hawkeye - want a 3-5hp.

As Far as I know - there was not an option for the double holes on the pivot from the factory - I've never seen that on any other helve hammer or in pictures. My guess was that the one hole became worn out and another was put in for current use???? Just a guess though. JK

My Dad is a big engine collector, which is why I ask...
Here are just a few of his engines....

3278234294_ff55cba849_o.jpg
3278234480_d7dda21814_b.jpg
3278233110_c7b26b4c1a.jpg
3277411649_4d6363baa8.jpg
3277411953_f472734b0d.jpg
3278234754_55ca592a33.jpg