I Forge Iron

Gift for newborn

My sister is about to have her first baby and since I am just starting out, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of a little keepsake item that I could make that would be manageable for a beginner bordering on novice. I thought about making a sleigh bell with a leaf and stem attached with baby name and weight stamped in leaf but drawing the blank and cutting without a bandsaw is proving to be tough. Thanks in advance

When my apprentice and his then wife had a daughter, I forged them a large nappy (diaper) pin (about 16" long and 5" wide from 1/2" round) Mounted it onto a base that had the little girls Name, date and time of birth, and her birth weight on it.

His smile was nearly as big as the pin.

He still has the pin, but the wife departed to far off shores along with the daughter some years later.

He still has the pin on his memories box with pics and other items from the daughter as she has grown since then.

He doesn't see her that often, so it helps keep happy memories for him. Needless to say he has no problem remembering her bithday.