I Forge Iron

Beginner Tools

minceyjs

Hello minceyjs,

Something to use as an anvil and something to get the metal red hot and your ready to practice. It is a good idea to wear safety glasses also. Sometimes I have to take mine off when they fog up. I bought a whisper daddy gas forge from NC tool co. and I love it. Hooks up to a propane tank 20lb or 100 lb and extremely easy to use. Not as flexible as charcoal when it comes to things like forge welding but I have a mig welder for joining pieces. Flea markets are awesome here in Alabama for finding different hammers to try. I don't have a lot of elaborate tooling but I have been able to do some great artwork with just the basics. I attend outdoor art exhibitions quite frequently and often there is a blacksmith demonstrating so you can watch and learn without spending the big bucks on classes right away. The first time I hammered I only had an oxy-acetylene torch to heat up the metal. I would have to say my gas forge was the real tool that made my artwork something people could call "forged ironwork". The people on this forum can explain most everything.

Good luck!! Spears

If your safety glasses are fogging up look into a better pair or a different type. Natural fiber clothing is also important, and dedicated leather shoes or boots. Synthetic fibers and vinyl shoes melt doing a lot of injury. If you choose to use gloves make sure they are loose enough to come off with a shake, or that they are a knit fire resistant material that fits snugly, but can still be shed very quickly, even though that will take two hands.

If the ground wants to inspect your work, let it then pick it up with the proper equipment. Be sure to keep the workspace clean enough that the ground can safely inspect work and tools at its leisure.

Phil

That was the advice I received when I first got started. My tool set is basic and works very well for me. I use a piece of rail road rail for an anvil. My most used tongs are a large set of vise grips. They were invented by a blacksmith to make a better set of tongs. My forge is a break drum forge. Very easy to build. I use 2" black iron pipe for the ash dump and air blast. Purchased from a local plumbing supplier. For my air blast I use a small shop vac called a bucket head. Cost $20 at Home Depot. Just put it on any 5 gallon bucket. To control my blast I use a light dimmer. Again, purchased at the Home Depot. Hammers are easy to find. Use ball peen hammers. I have 3 sizes 16 oz., 24 oz., and a 32 oz. Also I have a good set of files I scrounged and a couple on Nicholson files I purchased at a local store that sells welding and steel working supplies. I have an inexpensive cross peen that I purchased at a farm supplier that is 3 pounds. An angle peen that is 2.25 pounds and a straight peen that is 2.2 pounds that a very nice smith here on the forum sent me to help get me started. And a couple of others that I use for driving or cold work. For a hot cut hardy I use an old hatchet head locked in a small bench vise. Works great. I found a nice post vise at an antique dealer for $40, he wanted $45 but I talked him down $5.

I've made 3 pairs of tongs so far. I work hard to make them as nice as I can. But, they are ugly. Functional, but not pretty.

I forge as often as weather and time will permit. Study when I can't forge.

All together I probably spent about $120 and have about $400 total in value in tools. So a good but basic set can be had for not a lot of money. If your a better scrounger than I am you can reduce that even more.

I know people here have started with less. Don't be discouraged, keep working towards your goal and keep hammering.

I have a safety quality lens in my regular glasses. Doesn't cost much extra. Not really OSHA compliant on the side shield point though.

Leather apron, half or full, split or not. You can get them at a number of places that sell welding equipment, even the HF apron is decent. Pockets are strongly not recommended, and are typically not available on welding aprons. I bought my apron online.

Phil

Get a face shield that covers your entire face then; always seemed much less hassle than the goggles over glasses set up, (however for the last 15 years or so I have just gotten safety glasses for my regular wear; but I still with wear a face shield as well for wire wheeling, buffing, etc)

Harbor Freight some times has a cheap face shield, no top protection but for $3 what do you expect. They are good for side protection though. I use a full face shield only for grinding plus hearing protection.
Tools for starting out are fairly simple, something to beat on, hammer, big pliers, punch, heat source. With that I think you can manufacture most every thing else.
I got most of my main tools at swap meets, yard sales, estate sales, other smiths with duplicates, anywhere I could find them.