I Forge Iron

New smithy!

Over the last few weeks I have been working on a way of getting all of my blacksmith equipment out of the garage. Since my garage is downstairs from the kitchen and living room fire and noise is a real concern, I'm also getting real tired of hearing "don't burn your house down". My quest started out looking for a shed that could be moved or torn down and rebuilt. After looking around and deciding that I don't have time for taking on that project I suddenly realized that a wire corn crib would be perfect. On another one of our farms there was a 1200 bushel crib. It is 16 feet in diameter and started out 15 feet tall at the sidewall. I cut out one side and backed a hayrack into the crib. The next step was to hook the bin jacks that I built onto the crib and then cut off the bottom 4 feet. We then started letting the cribdown to the ground. About 2 feet off the ground one of my bin jacks gave out and it tipped over agianst the next bin. I then tied off to the top side and pulled it back upright, no damage was done other than to our nerves. now it was sitting back on the ground and upright! We took 4 2X6's and put through the sides and tied it down to the hay rack. I then took my torch and cut some more off the bottom so it would clear the ground. By this time it was dark so I hooked onto the hay rack and pulled it off of the bin foundation, we decided to wait til daylight to move it home so we could see the power lines.

Ok Sunday morning came and my youngest daughter and I went to go get the corn crib. We hooked onto the hay rack with the pickup and headed home. The first power line was a 220 volt triplex low and behold it was too low to go under, we hadn't even gotten out of the field. Ok plan B we went across the field to another field gate, that particular farm is 3/4 section so I had choices on where to get out. At this point we had 3 power lines to worry about instead of 2 and all 3 are high tension lines 17,000 volt. We made it to the other field gate after having to deal with going around terraces and some steep areas. When we got to the first line I had my daughter go across the road and watch, she said all was clear so we headed out for the final mile. 30 minutes later we were home, lots of room under all the power lines. I haven't taken many pictures but here are 2 that show how it is tied down to the hayrack.

19639.attach

19640.attach

After dinner (that's noon meal) I cleaned off the concrete pad that the crib is now sitting on and backed the hayrack into position. I then rounded up all the blocks I could find and 6 steel fence posts. I drove the posts into the dirt around the concrete to act as guides and wired the crib to the posts. The next problem was that the crib had to go up 18 inches before I could get the hayrack out. I used a handyman jack and went up 2 inches at a time untill the hayrack would clear and I got the hayrack out of the way. I next started down 3 feet 2 inches at a time. It was after dark by the time I had it on the ground. I had orignally planned on wrapping the outside with used barn tin but since it's cold and I really don't have time now I decided to go with tarps. I had an old lumber tarp and I bought a couple cheap plastic tarps. The lumber tarp held up well to the blizzard last night but I need to do something better for the plastic tarps. Here's a view from the kitchen window

19641.attach

Spent the entire afternoon pushing snow on my brothers Case 90XT skidsteer, after running that monster I wonder how we got anything done with the little 1818. 90 horse versus 18 horse powered scoop shovel. I've been saving unloading auger tubes from combines and with what I brought home Monday I should have plenty of material. Would 14" tube be too big?
My plan is when I build a better shop the corn crib will be moved and turned into a gazebo.

19653.attach

19654.attach

I think 14 would work very well, just make sure it clears the peak of the roof by at least four feet. Nice looking set up you have there. i would love to have all that open space. It would be nice not to have to worry about neighbors. I would be out in the shop banging metal at 3 o'clock in the morning!

I'm hoping to brave the cold this weekend and get the chimney built so I can get a fire going out there. The tubes have a bolt flange on one end so I'm planning on having a flange just above the fill cap height and modifying the existing cap to run the tube through, The additional height will be bolted to the top and I'm planning on using a hog pan on a rod that runs down through the roof so I can cap the chimney when not in use without climbing the roof. I'll add a wye for the wood stove that will be built at a later date. Now as long as no one tells me to pee in a corner I'll be alright!:D

Say doc, I used a SS salad bowl for the rain cap on my shop stove pipe and before that I built a new one for the house and used a steel gold pan. The old one on the house had a spark screen that just collected creosote causing problems. The house stack is tall enough and services a high quality Jotul stove so sparks are not a problem.

On the last part, you COULD build a corner.

Frosty

I can see one major flaw with this design for a smithy. MAN YOU HAVEN'T GOT A CORNER bury your unfinished / failed projects in and you can no longer tell people you'll start a job when you get a round to it, you've already got one. Oh and Glenn would be so pleased that you thought outside the square.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got the chimney built and carried down to the smithy. After that we got 14 inches of that confounded white stuff (snow and I cleaned up how I really feel). Between running the skidloader and keeping our snow moving equipment running not much else has happened. Yesterday morning on the way to the pavement (1.5 miles) we got stuck in a drift so I walked back 1/2 mile got the skidloader and dug myself out and proceded to clean the road the rest of the way to the highway. Kind of sucks took 1.5 hours to go 1.5 miles. My wife mentioned over the weekend that I should get prices on a shop building so if things work out I may be making my smithy into a gazebo much sooner than I thought! More updates to come!