I Forge Iron

winerack with

Here's a winerack I did for practice with collars-actually I did 4. Whenever I do something new for practice I do a bunch. Repetition breeds accuracy and quality. There's 22 collars per rack. I have no work in the shop( the economy finally caught up to me), so I'm going to go out and try to sell them.
Mark Emig

19347.attach

19348.attach

Not to Jack the thread, but with things slowing down there in the states, where would or do you sell your wares? Do you get a table flea markets or crafts sales places? I have always wondered that. Do you use the net or your own web site?

Dennis, I don't have a web site-haven't had time to think about it till now. I am going to go to a couple of high end kitchen/craft stores and see what happens. As for flea markets-people don't seem to spend real mony at them. I am going to do some tables and advertise in the Woodstock Times-weekend city folk read it and spend real money( I hope).

Brian, Thanks for the compliments-the design is not mine-got it from the Blacksmiths journal. As for tooling-the only thing I used was a mandrel the size of what I was collaring. I got it down to 2 heats each collar-not too bad. Next time I will probably make some tooling up for the fly-press. I did it "old school" to improve my skills. I used the method from "Wrought Ironwork" the cosira book. It says that you can do it in 1 heat, but a beginner need not be ashamed of 2. I think that you would be really skilled if you can do it in 1. I figured out the length (perimeter plus twice the thickness of the collar) and precut the pieces and chucked a bunch in the gas forge. Very challenging to get it right. It is very easy to over forge wrapping the collar around the mandrel and have the collar too long, or under do it and be short.
Mark Emig

Hi, Mark. Those are truly fine. I would buy one. There is a great housewares store called Hammertown Barn where those might do well. They have 3locations, Pine Plains and Rhinebeck, NY. Also Great Barrington, MA. Joan Osofsky is the owner. Hammertown They have the right clientele for it and their other merchandise would complement your wine racks. Don't know if it would be worth your while but can't hurt to ask. (of course we always shop in the clearance section there :) )

Those are some fine looking wine racks, Mark!

I've seen some craft stuff like this do very well at farmers markets. I saw one couple once who was making wooden kitchen implements-cutting boards, spoons, cheese boards, bowls, etc-out of "recovered" wood and their booth was packed! Maybe you can find good farmers markets in your area or other craft markets, perhaps an art studio open house, maybe even provide an open house at your shop with coffee/snacks and a few demos. People at flea markets tend to be looking for bargains, but people at farmers markets and art/craft sales tend to be looking for quality and hand-made, not low prices. Good luck!

Don,

The racks look great. Good luck with the sales.

There are a lot of collars there but a lot of rings too! Did you forge them?...If so, how'd you get them to be the same? Any special tricks?

If you just sliced some pipe, that's OK too...

Dave

The rings I wrapped hot around a 3-1/2" pipe hot-coiled it up like a spring-the cut down the center with the porta-band to make the individual rings. Then flattened them-the collars hide the gap in the rings. I didn't weld the gap in the rings as there is no need to.
Mark

Excellent Mark...I wouldn't have thought of that; I may have to give it a try sometime.

Thanks,
Dave

Very nice work! I think the economy is down all over , unfortunately. Good luck with selling those, im sure you wont have any difficulty. Its hard to find the right market...im still looking lol most people dont appreciate the time and effort that goes into creating something by hand.

Nice Rack MarK. (I'm REALLY glad you arent' a gal at this moment! )

A thought occured to me ( A serious thought believe it or not!) have you given any consideration to affixing a table top to the rack? It would make a wonderful place to open and decant wine, a place fr ide buckets, glasses and a plate of hors derves or sandwiches. Add a set of wheels and it's be a super party treat serving cart.

Very well done Mark.

I'm also very impressed with some of the sales advice posted to this thread, there are some solid high value leads for you.

Frosty

Hi Frosty-Great idea-I think I'll start on that. On another note, it's great to see your name on posts again. We've all been concerned about you. I hope your recovery is going well ( and quickly). Wishing you and your wife all the best. Cheers, Mark Emig

X2! Welcome back, Frosty.