I Forge Iron

Is spring steel always spring steel ?

I highly recommend a gun parts supplier such as BROWNELLS. While springs are springs, old springs can develop stress cracks and break, especially if not given the proper heat treatment.
I would imagine that a shipment of unshaped spring stock from Brownells to Canada as possible since the part is not shaped and could be used to make a spring for just about anything mechanical. The key is that some of what they sell is unshaped spring stock, flat springs, coil springs, piano wire, etc that could be made into springs for just about anything that is or is not a gun.

Edited by UnicornForge

If you heat the spring above a blue oxide (heat treat color) it is no longer a spring it would need to be heated above critical temp and then quenched in oil. It would now be hard and brittle and need to be polished and tempered to light blue color.
If yolu can reshape it without heat it would be a spring

Pete you can do that. Most of the springs I recycle are more like a medium carbon I believe. The key is to temper them to a pretty flexible state. The medium carbon to low end high carbon steels tend to be a little more forgiving to heat treat than the high carbon steels which is (I think) why they are more often used (it tends to be too easy to get high carbon steels overhard for spring purposes).

For the original poster this seems a fairly easy project to me but the question and the way you ask it makes me think that you need some skilled help to do this successfully. It is perhaps a bit more complex than can be easily covered here unless you already have a pretty good background of knowledge.

For a spring temper (if using alloy spring steel) we will normally temper to 480 to 500 deg C ( which is way over a light blue). Basically you can reheat a spring to its tempering temper as many times as you like (within reason) and not have it suffer any loss of temper, (as you are not going higher than the original temper temperature, you are not effecting a change in the condition of the steel), this is how we can reset leaf springs to a higher or lower camber without fear of them snapping or cracking, (by heating them to their tempering temperature, which makes them easier to set but does'nt affect their spring qualities). Even though your nice little temper colour charts show blue is the right temperature for springs, if you source marterial specs from spring steel manufacturer they will specify the correct temperature is nearer to a very dull just disenable black red or approx 500 deg C. Spring steels are usually 5160, 6150, 9258, 8660, 1070, 1060,

Phil

Edited by forgemaster

hey Big foot
No need to use the oven, just sit the spring on top of the fire, and with the fire just going, run the spring back and forwards over it, use an old hickory hammer handle to rub on it, when it is at about the right temperature the hammer handle will feel greasy to rub back and for. Try it with a piece of mild steel first to judge it for your self. This is what we call the greasy stick method. you want to judge the heat so the stick just feels as if the steel is slippery, if the stick starts to flame its a little too hot, not slippery too cold.

Cheers
Phil