I Forge Iron

First post anvil ??

This is my first post,but I've been looking for a few weeks.
I just bought a 150# anvil and hope someone might know what it is.
There are no markings visible.
BTW thanks to the guy with the ponytail at Columbus mkt NJ.for turning me on too this site,(I had a small mouse hole for sale).
Thank You

Are you a NJ resident? There is an active ABANA affiliate chapter, New Jersey Blacksmith's Association, NJBA. We have an open forge in Howell Tnsp most every Monday nights, and welcome all new members. Contact me for more details. Lots of members who are very willing to teach and help attend regularly.

Welcome to IFI! So you gave up a Mouse Hole for this? Well OK, this is nice looking, big, nice horn, had some use but doesn't look like much abuse. Some wear around the hardy hole, don't see any big chunks out of the hard face. Is all of that finish just rust or is it old crackled paint? Somebody sure went to a lot of work to drill the holes for hold. What sort of forge do you run?

NJ Anvilman I would be interested in NJBA I will contact you.

I did not sell the mousehole,will probably keep it.

There is some paint on the face no chunks in face,but it dose have a"dent" around the hardy hole I am just getting started and do not have a forge yet.
Besides a wire wheel on a 4.5" grinder is there anything i can use to clean it up with out doing any damage?
Any idea of who made this?
Thank You
Pat

I have an anvil much like urs but under the base it is concave,it weighs #175 on a bathroom scale.All the research i have done leads me to believe that it is a Hay Budden.Can't see many markings on mine either.HB's also have thin wastes. HB's are from Brooklyn N.Y....:cool:

You will have to wash all the oil off before the vinegar. I would wash it with dish soap and hot water, rinse well, put it in something plastic, a wheel barrow, Rubbermaid tote, even a heavy plastic trash bag, use at least 2 gals. of vinegar ( three if you use a wheelbarrow ) fill with water, let it sit a few days............rinse with water and wire brush, WD40 it immediately while still wet.
Also I wouldn't get in too much of a hurry to "repair" the top face, you'll be surprised how good it works as is.
Keith