I Forge Iron

what to do??

Tomorrow is the first day in quite a while that I have to myself. I have so many little things I want to do in the forge, and my vice needs remounting, my forge is a bit too low, I am conceptualizing 2 different projects for friends, and of course, lots of fiddling around, organizing and cleaning up. Do you guys sometimes go out and wonder, just what am I gonna do first?? I guess it's because I'm not the most organized individual, but I still get a respectable amount of finished projects out of my shop for a hobbyist anyway! Maybe I'll make a list, or just take my coffee out early and ponder, well whatever I do, I know I'll enjoy it!

Edited by divermike

Since I'm now forging silver and not iron because of my back I find that my little area of shop space is just as full of things to do as when I had a studio. My bench is covered with tools and needs cleaned, sketches are laying about half complete, things need put away, sounds just like you. My wife has a poster that says 'a clean desk is a sure sign of a sick mind'. I have found that if I want to get something done I do need to have some organization and usually while I'm organizing I come up with some great ideas. My bench is just clean enough to promote good thought and not so neat as to be sick from spending all my time keeping it neat.

I try to get a handle on the shop and put things away that didn't get put up the night before. That way I'm not hunting for tools and stuff right of the bat.
I wrote a poem of sorts(it doesn't rhyme) awhile back because one of my favorite things to do is sit in my shop and hangout. Here's the link if you haven't read it.
I Forge Iron - S0042 I like to sit in my shop

John

I'm a big fan of lists. I work an office job through the week, and I don't get out to the garage very often until the weekend. I torture myself all week by making lists of things I'd like to make or do, then by the time the weekend hits, I have about 2 months worth of "to do's" .
Aim high I guess.

I hate "to do" lists. I have this list a mile and half long and it just keeps growing. If you come across a day off then take it off and to blazes with a "to do" list, go out to the shop and make room to do project that have been wanting to try, have fun, but don't go out there with a "to do" attitude, it is a time to recharge.

I try to get a handle on the shop and put things away that didn't get put up the night before. That way I'm not hunting for tools and stuff right of the bat.
I wrote a poem of sorts(it doesn't rhyme) awhile back because one of my favorite things to do is sit in my shop and hangout. Here's the link if you haven't read it.
I Forge Iron - S0042 I like to sit in my shop

John

To say that I was deeply moved by your "poem of sorts" would be an understatement. I was in fact touched to my core by the sentiments you expressed with such simple eloquence that I found myself moved with sentimental emotion.

I called my wife of 34 years of marriage to read what you had written, and when she had read, we both agreed that you had put into simple and beautiful language that which I experience each time I walk into my shop, be it to work or sit or muse or pet my dogs or to wax lyrical to some visitor about the joys of my power hammer and the excitement of lighting up the forge with just one match from cold to forging heat in under 10 minutes..

I have saved and placed in my file of special "things" your 'poem of sorts' and will refer to it from time to time, perhaps with melancholy, perhaps with nostalgia but certainly always with emotion.

Thank you for sharing not only your feelings about your shop, but thank you also for being brave enough to reveal your soul as well.

Kevan O'Donnell