I Forge Iron

You win some, lose some, win some lose some win some again...maybe

It's a bit of a long story so bare with me...

About ten months or so ago, I was flicking through the local paper and noticed an advert for a chap selling a "Large " Anvil. I called and arranged a visit. The Anvil was a good one forged not cast and with a couple of giant tongs and an Anvil stake included. It had been used as a garden ornament for a few years, but apart from some surface rust was in very good nick. However there was a problem. I was the second person to see it that day and the first guy had just phoned to say he would take it. The chap selling it offered it to me anyway on the basis that I was there with the money and the other chap was just a promise on the phone, but I said no let the other guy have it as he was (1) first, (being noble) and (2) I could have put the money to better use ( being practical). I left him my phone number before I left and off I went. :(

Last week I had a call. The guy with the anvil had found my number after all these months and called to say that the anvil was still there and as he was about to move house and didn't want to take it with him I could have it if I wanted it. The first chap had never materialised with the money and the owner hadn't bothered to try selling again. He also cut the price from the first time. I told him I'd make arrangements to collect in the week and started making plans for how we were going to get it home. :D

I got an answer machine message in the week from the Anvil man. He was so sorry but... the people who were buying his house really wanted the Anvil in the garden, so he had given it to them, hoped I understood very sorry... :mad:

Yesterday I got another call from "Anvil man" house sale fallen through Anvil available again if I want it :confused:

I'll let you all know if I actually get it this time

Well I got it....

Pictures below. Marked 3.2.13 so 405lb or 184Kg if I got the maths right. The anvil stake and the giant tongs came with it.

Overall dimensions are Hight 14"
Width 6 1/4"
Length of Face 21"
Overall length 34 1/2"

steve194.th.jpg
steve196.th.jpgsteve201.th.jpg
steve199.th.jpg

Well I'm not sure what's going on with the images, I can't even get imageshack to work properly, but it gives you an idea.

Edited by SteveW

I can see the images fine.

Have you been able to find a name on it? I noticed that it has the same chisel marks that a few of mine have. It must have been a common practice to test chisels that way :confused:

Now all you have to do is get it onto a stand and start using it. Just don't get a hernia lifting it :p

Hey I got a couple more anvils I might sell ya, well maybe just one, but then I like that one, so maybe not, but the other one now!! well that one might be for my son, I do have a little one I could be persuaded to part with, but maybe not, that's for my grandson, I heard about one for sale up the street, but the owner might wanna keep it in his garden. An auction I heard of...

ANVIL FOR THE GARDEN!!! This bothers me. There is this women who lives in my area and she is quite wealthy and buys up a lot of the local anvils from the antique and garage sales so that she can paint them to look like ducks and stick them all around her garden and property. Now obviously, she has every right to do this but, it burns me bad to see one of these beautiful pieces of history end up as a duck. If I only had the $$, I'd save them from their ridiculous demise. Oh well... she's not gettin' mine.

Leo33