I Forge Iron

does anyone use there post drill

i have been wundering how many people who have post drills really use them i have had one in the family long before i was born and i used it when i was a kid just really messing around and for the last 25 years its been stored under the steps not being used . dad thought it was funny letting me try to drill a hole with it when the cam dog was not engaged :mad:

I posted a thread about finding a 'new' Buffalo Forge post drill. Maybe this brought up this question. First of all they are really cool. I think every smitty should have one. Secondly if I decide to make a totally unplugged project this will help and Lastly no there is no real reason to have one! But it's cool.
And I must confess I have a Bridgeport milling machine.............and a tool room lathe! :cool:

OK, I just wanted one! :confused:

Joe

Had a chance to buy one, from a friend, for not much money. It was in good working order. But after thinking about where I would put it, and if and how often I would really use it, I decided that I really didn't need it after all. So I just use my hand drills or my drill press or punch the holes. :)

Many post drills have poor chuck systems as they existed long before Mr Jacobs came along. However, a sharp bit that is well secured will cut pretty quickly in mild steel if the pawl is used. We had one in a local period shop (which is supposed to be "pre-electricity") that worked fine to drill holes for the types of projects we made during public demos. We did have to clamp the workpiece with a vise grip because it could not be held by hand without catching on the bit and spinning - but that's good safety practice anyway.

i have one in my shop at the museum and i do use it tho not that often .i prefer to punch holes whenever possable (ive got various whitney punches) but the hand crank works fine! its a little slower than a modern drill press but it will go thru even fairlt hard steel if you hae patience .. and it dosnt burn up bits like a modern drill press can...

• 2 weeks later...