I Forge Iron

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours!

yep, The shop was built in the rv space along the side of my house. There is a short three foot wall in the shop because the shop was built into the wall, if that makes any sense. Then theres a wall behind at about roof level of the shop, i am on a corner, and my neighbors are uphill a little bit. I think it really helps with sound proofing. I have talked to my neighbors a few times and appologized for the noise, and they claim they havent heard a peep since we moved in a year ago. It keeps it a bit cooler in the shop being sort of built into a hill.

I played with my panoramic options on my camera today. At Grant's request, I did not clean the shop prior to taking these photos. It is as I left the shop in a rush before leaving last weekend. I hope these are big enough for you to see. I do rearrange things for classes and hammer-ins. I have posted some of those previously.

18095.attach

18096.attach

Hey Grant-Ruby looks happy in her natural environment

See if I can post a few pictures of my mess...

3280436886_23ea078147.jpg
3279614225_170cdc1c30.jpg
3280435172_04001a9e03.jpg

These are about a year ago... The 3B is now back by the little hammer and everything else has been shuffled about.

This one is with the Nazel but ive shuffled things around since this one too.
3987497882_ccf3a72c01_b.jpg

Here is the metal end of my shop, it looks pretty rough after Monstermetals shop pictures. I have some re arranging to do when I get a chance, I need to move the small power hammer and my belt sander. I try and keep everything on the side of the shop with the shelving mobile so that I can move it out of the way so that I can get larger patterns out of the pattern shop or occasionally the really big ones end up partially get built in this space. I also need to try and keep open space for skids coming in or out.

18100.attach

18101.attach

18102.attach

18103.attach

18104.attach

18105.attach

Here is the other metalworking end of my shop. I know it looks like woodworking but it is a pattern shop so therefor it's a metal shop ; ) My big post lathe is outside tarped up because it doesn't get used that often.

I have a welding curtain that I draw between the two parts of the shop if I have a lot of welding or grinding to do. If I do any woodwork in the metal shop I ALWAYS make sure I clean up any sawdust or shavings before I light a fire, weld or grind.

18120.attach

18121.attach

18122.attach

18123.attach

18124.attach

Edited by JNewman

I've seen some nice shops here:D Good idea Grant.

Not to feel left out, I figure I better show my mess. I finished putting up the building in July, 08. Been stuffing it full of junk and gems ever since:D Its been hard to work out a good tool layout because I've been adding a tool or three every month or so.
The first pic is the "wood" side of the shop although I spin metal on the lathe in the corner.
The second pic is the "metal" side. At least that is the goal:rolleyes: to keep them seperate.

18141.attach

18142.attach

18143.attach

Nothing compared to what everyone else has shown.
But I like it. Built by my great grandfather in the late 1800's for a blacksmith shop.

Trying to post some attachments but can't get them to load.
Maybe later.

Edited by bsiler

love seeing in all your workshops! they all have very individual qualities:) nice to visualise where people work.. ill try to put up some pics of where i work, its mostly piles of stuff on the floor - any ideas for the best way to mount my post vise onto the big workbench, its cast and thick and too high on the top and too low underneath to attatch what would you do? do i need to just make another stepped up bracket?

Why don't I see ANY pictures? ... no pictures appear. :confused:chad

Apparently the links to where the pictures were stored were broken during the latest update. Management is reputedly making an heroic effort to fix it.

----------------------
Dave E.
I was told by potential employers that I am too old to work with computers anymore. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, here it is from the ground up. The anvil is a 3-100wt Euroanvil. The post legged vise I got from a knife maker. The cat is sitting on the slab where the forge is going (if this snow ever stopps), and the wall in the background is a facade over the metal siding so tourist and historians and take photos.

post-8950-12675417148288_thumb.jpg

post-8950-12675417295853_thumb.jpg

post-8950-12675417508856_thumb.jpg

post-8950-12675417728206_thumb.jpg