I Forge Iron

blowers made from a heater fan

irontwister

Pulleys? I attached a DC power supply to the heater fan out of a lorry and just got on with it... ;-)

Some more explanation of your situation and what you're trying to achieve woudl go a long way towards helping us to help you! Adding your location to your profile might help too, you never know when there's a friendly smith just round the corner.

sorry ya'll, i havent really given it much attention to lookin at it and i can find out the size of it tonight. i dont really know how to do the stuff to my profile. i live in clarksburg west virginia. i have some family and friends that are smiths but were not reaslly close. i asked him about it and he said that his was already set up when he got it. the thing about the pulleys is to reach the right rpm or something. tyhanks willie

Willie,

For your first effort why don't you work on the KISS principle and simply use an old hair dryer for an air supply. Maybe its not the final answer but it will work and get you going. Once you are up and running you can then think about how to do your final setup knowing the requirements of your forge, they are all a bit different.

Make haste slowly would be my advice.

Cheers

My two cents.....

for a 3 wire. black green white.......
-connect the green from the dim to the greens of the fan and power supply
-white wire to the dim
-black wire to fan
-there is now a terminal on the fan and dim that need to be connected together with a "jump" wire.

use good connectors on the end of the wires, good electrical tape, oh and make sure you DON'T plug in the supply power BEFORE you start to wire it all up ;)

Irontwister,

You sound confused especially about the electrical part of your project. Stop. Take a deep breath. Think about what it is you want to accomplish, and take it one step at a time. As for hooking up the dimmer - talk to your journeyman electrician friend. He/she will know what to do. Good luck.

Bill

yeah a little confused. ill have to see the dimmer before i can figure it out. once i see it itll be one of those " oh... yeah, thats easy." kinda deals. its my stepdad that is the journeyman, and he taught me residentyial wiring. he teaches classes on it so i also get free books on it and sometimes goes to his classes. im either working on my blower , or welding my forge the rest of the way. i also have to cut out the part to lay my coal lke the table on the forge.weld hangers and stuff on it too. i bet a fellar could really make a killin on makin coal forges. i saw some on centaur forge, and they were all 1,000 and better, easy . they were nice, but not too nice. there not that hard to make either. you guys should see my new forge im makin. its amazing. hopefully pics soon.

I just watched a video on making a backyard knife anyway what I did like from the video that I saw was he used a small bathroom fan, found at any hardware store, it was prewired with a plug so all you had to do was run a longer cord and plug it in, seemed to work good, but I am new at this so...

And my pic is tilted to the side? :(

oh yeah. do you know any of there names? the more i look the more i find. its pretty neat because i canjust ask them for advice. in fact i just found an old farrier that i believed to be dead. turns out he lives near some of my family. he had his nose bit off by a horse. he sold some of his equipment to my grandpa a long time ago , which in turn gave it to me when he learned that i wanted to be a smith. think the anvil i got was a big hay-budden.(smiles.)

the bike idea sounds pretty neat. i have seen ones that are used by foot and i thought that was the neatest thing ever.. on the i foge iron blueprints there is one for a blower made from a dryer fan. i have one so i think that i am gonna try that first. i realy need an electrical blawer though.any suggestions on thebike ideas. id like one that can be operated by foot?

• 2 weeks later...