I Forge Iron

Fly press weight

SteveW

Hi,

sorry John I didn't make that very clear... only one press is involved but it has no numbers or makers name stamped on it according to the seller.

From the photo I have I'm guessing a size 4,5 or 6 any smaller and It's not a problem any bigger and I'm in the poo....

My trailer has stutzlast 75kg ( max pressure on towing bar, I'm told) and Zuglast 600kg max weight? dunno..... so I was trying to get an idea of the kind of maximum weight it's likely to be...

I'd rather not hire a van if there is no need.

Steve.

Steve,

I have an old #4 and don't know it's weight but would guess you would be okay. Seems like it comes in at 300 - 400 kg plus the stand weight. Does it come with a stand? If it's not too far away and it looks tight, you can take the press off the stand and remove the fly weight and bar and make two trips. The new import presses have higher numbers for their weight, so you can't use them directly for a reference on the older presses, but my #4 is about the same size as a new #6.

Thanks Ed,

It has a stand and both weights, but as I have an estate car (station wagon) I was thinking put the stand, bar and weights in the back and the press on the trailer...

I should try and persuade my wife I really need a Pickup truck :D

Seller wasn't much help regarding the size of the press, all she knew was it was about six feet tall on the stand :confused:

Hi Steve.
You should be ok with that, just secure the weight over the axle so that you can easily lift the tow hitch and it should ride ok

without seeing pictures and scale etc it is difficult to assess, Is the base cast or fabricated? cast will be much heavier.

You can remove the top bar and balls and put them in the back of the towing vehicle which may help a bit.

If the suspension on the trailer is the rubber compression "indespension" type it should not be a problem even if on the limit (It has been known to transport a Blacker power hammer approx 1ton on a 250kg rated trailer.

Tie it on tight and drive careful

Watch your speed! You can get away with amazing stuff if you are willing to go slow enough!

I moved a large H frame flypress with 42" dia top wheel on it's factory stand in my little 4 cylinder pickup once.

I put a 3/4 inch plywood sheet in and then had the rigger load the press with a forklift and tied it off thoroughly and drove the 15 miles home at 25 mph.

*Nobody* tried cutting me off or honked that I was going to slow---they kept away from me and the load!

At home I used a large tree as a lift point and lowered the press to 4x4" skids and rolled it on pipe to it's new home

Edited by ThomasPowers

You were given a number 6 and you have a Landrover Grrrrrr!!! ;)

Actually I have a bad feeling about this, I've just chatted to the chap on the phone and he was very circumspect when it came to trying to estimate the size and weight. I have a feeling I'll turn up with the trailer expecting a size 5 or 6 and walk out with a size 2 under my arm. But hey ho! the joys of buying sight unseen. :o

hi steve - i just got given a number 6 by a very kind man and i moved it with no probs in the back of the landrover stand and all. :)

Tom you're in central New Mexico, ain't nothing out there but Vultures and Longhorn skulls. I will be travelling through England's green and pleasant land where traffic police and on the spot fines loiter behind every bush.

Listen out for me in the wind...if you here a voice yelling "The trailer willna take it Captain!!!" in a terrible Scottish accent that will be me :D

Watch your speed! You can get away with amazing stuff if you are willing to go slow enough!

I moved a large H frame flypress with 42" dia top wheel on it's factory stand in my little 4 cylinder pickup once.

I put a 3/4 inch plywood sheet in and then had the rigger load the press with a forklift and tied it off thoroughly and drove the 15 miles home at 25 mph.

*Nobody* tried cutting me off or honked that I was going to slow---they kept away from me and the load!

At home I used a large tree as a lift point and lowered the press to 4x4" skids and rolled it on pipe to it's new home

go for it steve! ( tho i agree tom has no idea what kind of killjoy behaviour we have to suffer here..)

ps its the other halfs landrover - i drive a beaten up 15 yr old isuzu, and the luck with the flypress was extremely out of character - and i do appologise:) hope you manage to pick it up soomehow and it works and your pleased. i dont even know what to do with mine really.... how bad is that? does that make you more angry...!? whats your plans for yours??

Plans! plans! I'm a man we don't have plans we just need things on a primeval level....tools, stuff, food, beer that kind of thing ;)

It would be nice however if, with a bit of DIY tooling I could bend, fuller, punch and whatnot. I know people who use them to make pattern welded billets for knives or Mokume-gane. With the right tooling you can repeat the same bends, say for a fire basket. Punching holes in thick stock should have the Donkey work taken out of it. I've seen some very nice Bowls made with most of the work done on a press and even very delicate things like veining a leaf. Best of all they're quiet and a good deal cheaper than a power hammer.

OK, I'll forgive you the free press :P, but I really do want a Landy :(

Steve.

go for it steve! ( tho i agree tom has no idea what kind of killjoy behaviour we have to suffer here..)

ps its the other halfs landrover - i drive a beaten up 15 yr old isuzu, and the luck with the flypress was extremely out of character - and i do appologise:) hope you manage to pick it up soomehow and it works and your pleased. i dont even know what to do with mine really.... how bad is that? does that make you more angry...!? whats your plans for yours??

Actually that trip was straight through Columbus OH on Broad street going within a block or so of the state capitol and then turning south through German Village an area of narrow brick streets.

Stock up on dilithium crystals!

I got so tired of going to auctions with "Large" anvils that turned out to be under 100 pounds I finally started asking the auctionerrs by phone how many people it took to lift the anvil: 1-2 = small when they laugh and said Forklift then I'd go by the auction!

You're right, out here folks would just throw a chain around it and drag it to my house!

Well boys and girls my luck is running true to form, a quick update.

I decided on the off chance to pop into an old friends garage today to see if he had a suitable trailer that I could borrow, but his are massive and on call 24/7 for breakdowns etc so no good for me. He asked what I needed it for and I told him it was to collect a Fly Press,

" what one of those blinking big things with an arm on top and ball weights, weight about 3 to 400 kilos?"

"Yep that's the thing"

"oh dear...er did you buy it?"

"Yes why?"

"Some bloke came in here a fortnight ago and gave me one, huge it was, I had no use for it so I turned it in for scrap"

:o :o :o

I'm off to weep into my Beer.....:(

Quick update...

I went yesterday to pick it up, by the time I set off, I'd managed to convince myself that it would be a number 3 at best and it was probably not even worth taking the trailer at all, I almost didn't bother.....

Fast forward 3 hours and I'm standing in a huge barn looking at a beast of a press :o the guy had managed to take a photo, not only without much in the way of visual reference to size, but also from the only angle that didn't show it was a deep throat! There are no numbers or names on the press I could see when we loaded it (on the very small looking trailer) and I took it very slowly home.

We put the press in the trailer and the cast stand dismantled in the boot. Its sitting outside now waiting for me to take it to it's new home later today. Pictures when I can, I have a feeling there will be some questions I'll need to ask about as well.... :)

Well i got mine home today , what a ride . . . :(

So much for it bein' " about 500 kg's " .. stopped at a weigh bridge , including trailer i hit 912 kg's / over 2,000 lbs ( remember my trailers only rated at 750 kg's gross )

Flat springs , messed up the floor , bent the draw bar ,, but it's HOME :)

Just don't ask me to move it anywhere else

It's off my poor trailer , still gotta fit up some casters to legs , then the real fun begines , gettin' it down to shop after all the rain we've just had ... :(

Dale Russell

17869.attach

17870.attach

17871.attach

17872.attach