I Forge Iron

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reccommend a thin oil (hydraulic) for the 33lb anyang, or a 5w30 motor oil is fine (much heavier and they 'snot up' and take forever to start making good power.)

For the 55# , 88# Anyang the factory reccomends machine oil 60 viscosity. I say that or a simple motor oil (10w40), as it works well, and is available in small qtys anywhere.

Its no oil that kills machinery!

On our bigger (wet sump) self contained hammers 100kg ram - 2200 kg ram we reccommend a 100 viscosity 'slideways' type oil. These hammers have bronze crank bushings, and gear / pinion drives.

Never heard of a self contained dieseling personally, (but heard the old rumors about them blowing the covers off etc)

The steam cylinder oil is like treacle (if its the stuff im thinking of) and I would have though would be to much for small self contained hammers

I heard tell that one should use a zinc free based oil to prevent corrosion of bronze bearing?

never heard that one before, and scrathching my brain back to study days I dont see how traces of zinc in oil could corrode a metal made from copper, tin and sometimes Zn?

Phillip... the on-off switch is very simple. On the hammers I sell, when I make the base, I purchase a metal outlet box and tack it to the hammer base. I put a 20 amp double pole on-off switch in the box, then put a metal cover over the switch. I put an extension cord with a 220V 20 amp plug-in going to the switch, then run the switched wire to the motor... it's very simple, low cost and easy. If you want, I can send you or post some pictures of the set-up. Takes about 30 minutes for me to do this, and I am slow. I am buying all of my future hammers with a base manufactured at Anynag, and my understanding is that it comes pre-wired. Let me know how I can help...

The electrician who does all our work here connected it up for me a couple of hours ago. I need to pour a shallow base onto which to bolt the anyang base. I did just smack a bit of rebar with it. That is a very very good hammer. It is very hard hitting but seems very easy to control. When it is anchored down and I have had a day playing with it I am sure I shall find it very useful.

• 2 weeks later...

It is in and working. The school electrician connected her up. She was standing on blocks and I was going to make a base but haven't bothered. She is on the Anyang made fabricated steel base which gets her high enough to use comfortably- I am only small. So some of the students and I moved her to one side and cracked up three tiles from the floor. That gicves me a very shallow trough of about 500mm x 1,500 mm (or 20" x 60" if you prefer. We then dropped the hammer into the depression. She works fine- no tendency to jump around and veen if she did she can't get out of that small hole!

I probably ought to get her anchored to the concrete but as she will be here for less than a year I don't think I shall bother

I was expecting power- 25Kg delivered upto 240 times a minute will do anything I am ever going to want. The degree of control and precision, however, came as an unexpected bonus. I haven't started removing the shells from hard boiled eggs with it yet but I can quite see how it would be possible with experience.

All I need now is to save up to buy a Hofi powerhammer course.

Congratulatations Philip, I think your going to love that hammer. My 25kg (50lb) should be leaving Anyang, China soon. I also bought my hammers with the factory built base, but customers will still have the option to buy the hammer without the base.
When you get some free time post some pictures of the hammer. If you need anything or have any questions feel free to email me.

Mine is sitting in a warehouse still

I went to clear customs today,

I sent the money to anyang yesterday I wasnt going to send it until it landed in canada,

Soon I will have it I made a cart for the hammer so it can rest on that until I find a new location which should be pretty soon I just need to save up 6 months worth of rent before I am willing to open shop

You need all of the paperwork to clear customs. They should have sent you a fax copy of the Bills of Lading to prove the goods had left china, this then gives you 3 weeks or so whilst the slow boat is sailing, to pay, receive the Original Docs from the exporter(which are in essence ownership of the goods), and arrange to pay your import charges, Tax, port charges & organise transport etc etc etc.

You can specify your own shipping agent to clear it all through for you.

I hope you dont get hit with to much demurrage for the time the goods are sat in a warehouse dockside!

hey philip - if the hammer wasnt in that hole i reckon she'd move - mine is not fixed yet (the bolts are sat there waiting but its too boring!!!) and its moved about a foot across the workshop! i must sort that this week - boring or not. do you think that it would damage the hammer if left to jump around for long`?? glad you up and running!

Beth, A little bit of (walking or skating) across the floor should't hurt the hammer, but it is really annoying working behind a hammer that isn't anchored to the floor. I have set up my
15kg (33lb) and 40kg (88lb) Anyang hammers, using just two 3/8 x 3 sleeve anchors. I just welded 2 angle iron tabs to the base(one on each side) then drilled/droped the anchors into the floor. Don't forget to lay down a piece of 3/4 plywood between the hammer and the concrete. It's about 20 min. job.

Beth - Like James says - on my air hammers I had the same problem. A small piece of angle and a hole for a 1/4" pin (1/4" hole drilled in the concrete) is all I have to keep mine in place. I have mine set up on a pallet type platform so i can move it with a pallet jack when needed. I just lift the 2 pins out and I'm on the move if I need to do some shop cleaning. - JK