I Forge Iron

Anvil height

It was originally set at knuckle height. However, since I have a dirt floor in my shop a divot has worn away where I typically stand and it's now almost wrist height.

Basically, the goal with anvil height is to have it tall enough that you're not hurting your back and low enough that you're not wasting swing energy nor having the hammer head end at an odd/uncomfortable angle at the end of the swing arc.

My anvil ended up at just above knuckle high with the log I am currently using. If I want it higher, I can kick some gravel out of the way and make myself an inch shorter. Making it lower however is not as easy at the moment. I can dig the log down as I set it for the day, but I can only go down an inch or so before I hit hard pack earth under the driveway. Standing on more than a inch or so of this 3/4 inch gravel is like standing on marbles or ball bearings.

It seems comfortable at just above the knuckle for what little I have done, which is mostly key fobs in 3/8 square.

A few weeks ago, before the log, the anvil sat on the ground and I sat on a wheel ramp (generally used for oil changes) since I was using a ground high brick pile forge. That was similar to squatting, which would be comfortable if I was more flexible. But I am not that flexible any more. My only problem was I had no power in my swing with the body position, but I was still only making a few key fobs.

Phil

I now have 5 anvils- although currently only 4 of them are in use. The one I use most is at wrist height but I have another one of similar size at knuckle height. As my posture improves- i.e. I stop bending over and use the hammer more wisely I am finding the knuckle height one is better. I also have another, a double bick, which is higher still but I tend to sue that only for fine work- so rarely. The big one is set very low and tends to get used almost exclusively for heavy striking.

The pic didn't hot link, here's an attachment
The smith in the pic ,seems to have his anvil set below his knees.

My chiropractor convinced me standing upright and hammering was more productive than leaning over, more back friendly also.

I use just below belt buckle for most small work and hand width above knuckle height for heavier work.

I find if I am over extending my elbow I need to move the anvil up. Sometimes I use a riser block in hardy hole on my heavy anvil.

I've seen lotsa pics of old smiths, with scoliosis.

any how the pic of the low anvil brought it to my attention again.

17565.attach

I usually mount my anvils at knuckle height. I always get a good laugh when friends come over to play in the fire. Most of my friends are average height and I'm a bit above average at 6'9". So what is comfortable for me, is at eye level for them. I actually took a chainsaw to one of the stumps and lowered it for them. All of the shop tables are cruising at 40" in height as well. So if you come over consider bringing a box to stand on.

The pic didn't hot link, here's an attachment
The smith in the pic ,seems to have his anvil set below his knees.

any how the pic of the low anvil brought it to my attention again.

OW! That looks painfull! :o

There's If I had to work one that far from my correct working height I'd either find some lumber to shim it up or find a chair and work sitting down.

I hope the guy was just setting a rivet or something one time only and not using it regularly.

Frosty