I Forge Iron

Tire Hammer construction changes

I just wanted to point out a few things I encountered and what I did.

1. In my area the auto scrapers for the most part eliminated their inventory of the 1980s and earlier vehicles when scrap price peaked about a 1.5 years ago. Also some of them are keeping the temp tires and using them flat on the ground to lay their inventory on. I found some temp wheels for free at repair shops where they have to pay to have them hauled away. As far as the hub I opted to use the recommended Northern Tool axle and hub instead of spending time and money on a snipe hunt for a used auto axle.

2. In making the tie rods I found that schedule 40 has an ID that is too large for 1" OD bushings. One could use Schedule 80 or in my case I made the rod ends from 1-3/8" shafting that I happened to have.

3. I changed the spring ends from a fabrication/weldment per plans to a solid
piece out of solid 3" shafting.

I will add future items as I continue on the project.

Ted

Welcome aboard TW, glad to have you.

Nice description, do you have pictures to go with? We love pics you know. ;)

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members in more than 50 countries an a lot of info is location specific.

Frosty

Attached photo of the turned spring bushing mention in item 3 above.
This part is beefed up a little over the original and will require about 0.08" notch in PN 210 arm to allow for more clearance for the thicker rim of the bushing at the top edge only.

Ted

17659.attach

I've made similar jigs to keep things parallel myself. The last one I had some 1" x 1 1/2" bar I just drilled. Fitted bolts tightened held everything in place.

How do you think the additional weight of the spring bushings will effect things?

Frosty

Frosty,

I don't think a little increased weight at that point is important.
We shall see when I get things together. That is one item that is easy to replace.

I thought that the welded spring bushings might give problems of bending
of the 3" washer weld area after thousands of repeated blows.

By the way I found in my set of plans several dimensions that are probably typo errors. I have a first edition so maybe they are fixed by now.
I will list them when I get through cutting and fitting.

Ted

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of being able to remove the tire from the rim for fabrication ease so I made holes in the crank plate to permit the a socket wrench to access the lug nuts after assembly. Unforunately when this is done you weaken the area around the crank pin. I resolved this by adding a 3/8" 3" x 5" plate and rearranged the spokes as illustrated in the attached photo and the drawing.
A word of caution: I haven't run the hammer yet so I may have changes to this scheme.

18139.attach

18140.attach

I don't think that will be a problem since I am only adding 1.4 lbs near the pivot
and have counter-balanced it with .5 lbs of lead to an assembly that has a total weight of 49.3 lbs. Nevertheless I am using a 1.5HP 3 phase motor so that I have speed control with a VFD and more than enough power.

• 3 months later...

Some typos and/or changes that I made in Plans of 2007.

Page 11 of the plans Shows a Counter Weight of 7 ¾ lbs. After static balancing the tire with toggle arms less the hammer head I found the value of 11.5 lbs more appropriate than the value I previously posted. This may vary with your particular materials and construction.

Page 12 of the plans Shows a radius of 2 ¾” for the plate opening which should be 3 ¾”.
Also on page 12, the note (½” square x 22”) should read (½” square x 6”).

I modified the crank plate to allow for access to tire lug nuts allowing the tire to be removed completely for assembly welding and added some additional reinforcement to the plate to compensate for the added access holes as shown in previously posted photo.

Page 15 of the plans shows a dimension of 2 ¼” which should be 1 ¾”

Ted
post-10652-12628879370863_thumb.jpg
post-10652-12628880689403_thumb.jpg

Beautiful build, and I love the 3phase with a VFD. I am terribly curious how fast you can get it to cycle and just how slow you can get your hammer to cycle??? Very Cool. Is that a little toolrest to help feed the bar in level? or is it a standard fixture for mounting spring dies?

Christian
Husband
Father
Blacksmith
Farrier
Farmer
everything else just gets in the way;-)

Beautiful build, and I love the 3phase with a VFD. I am terribly curious how fast you can get it to cycle and just how slow you can get your hammer to cycle??? Very Cool. Is that a little toolrest to help feed the bar in level? or is it a standard fixture for mounting spring dies?

Christian
Husband
Father
Blacksmith
Farrier
Farmer
everything else just gets in the way;-)

I normally use the VFD on a drill press but it is a simple matter to share it with the hammer(by swapping twist-lock plugs).
I have a second VFD that is shared between a lathe and milling machine.
The speed range should be from about 1/2 to 2X normal speed(1800rpm) but my interest is to slow it down at times. I have not experimented much as the shop is tooooo cold right now.
The adjustable toolrest is for holding dies and other special tooling with vise grips as a clamp.

Ted

I normally use the VFD on a drill press but it is a simple matter to share it with the hammer(by swapping twist-lock plugs).
I have a second VFD that is shared between a lathe and milling machine.
The speed range should be from about 1/2 to 2X normal speed(1800rpm) but my interest is to slow it down at times. I have not experimented much as the shop is tooooo cold right now.
The adjustable toolrest is for holding dies and other special tooling with vise grips as a clamp.

Ted

Great tip on setting up the VFD as a portable power source, and being able to use it on multiple pieces of equipment, makes great sense: their expensive, and your likely not using more than one piece of 3phase equipment at a time... I saw how you set it up on that portable base, and thought it was interesting. I will definitely be using that idea. My best freind just refitted his dual belt grinder settup to a 3hp 3phase with a VFD, I want to build a 2x72 like that, and I have a 3phase lathe that my father-in-law said can live in my shop once it is all enclosed;-)

Ainght winter forging great;-) cooking one side while you feet and backside freeze, and the "joy" of reaching for a tool off the rack that is the same temp as the south pole. Yep I understand compeletly;-)

Christian
Husband
Father
Blacksmith
Farrier
Farmer
the rest just keeps getting in the way;-)

Great tip on setting up the VFD as a portable power source, and being able to use it on multiple pieces of equipment, makes great sense: their expensive, and your likely not using more than one piece of 3phase equipment at a time... I saw how you set it up on that portable base, and thought it was interesting. I will definitely be using that idea. My best freind just refitted his dual belt grinder settup to a 3hp 3phase with a VFD, I want to build a 2x72 like that, and I have a 3phase lathe that my father-in-law said can live in my shop once it is all enclosed;-)

Ainght winter forging great;-) cooking one side while you feet and backside freeze, and the "joy" of reaching for a tool off the rack that is the same temp as the south pole. Yep I understand compeletly;-)

Christian
Husband
Father
Blacksmith
Farrier
Farmer
the rest just keeps getting in the way;-)

I have the parts to add remote on/off pushbutton and speed control for each VFD but haven't got that done yet.

• 2 months later...

First I want to apolegize for my spelling and the LARGE nasty print, I like the addition of the extra holes.
Along with the addition of surport around the holes. How did that modification work???????????????
Rakessler

Worked fine. I have had the tire off and on a few times.
I haven't run it a lot because of cold weather has kept me out of the shop.
It also could be done other ways such as using a thicker plate like 3/8" or 7/16" instead of going with the spokes and a 1/4" plate and my backup plate. That would eliminate some of the welding.

At that point of the hammer there are not a lot of force but you don't want a thin plate flexing.

Another point to be aware is the balancing. In this thread I discuss my experience and method of balancing.

Also read this thread: about welding on the rim.

Hope this helps.
Ted

• 1 month later...

"Worked fine. I have had the tire off and on a few times.
I haven't run it a lot because of cold weather has kept me out of the shop.
It also could be done other ways such as using a thicker plate like 3/8" or 7/16" instead of going with the spokes and a 1/4" plate and my backup plate. That would eliminate some of the welding."

Just starting my tire hammer but since I don't care for assembling something that can't be removed easily I really like your idea of access holes for the lug nuts. Having used your hammer for a while now, would you add any modifications to your original drawing as I am about to fab that part. I am also mounting the foot treadle on an axle with cotter keys and making the crossbar removable in case I ever want to alter the configuration.

Thanks Ted, Keith

Keith,
I haven't found anything that needs to be changed at this point.
Hammer works just fine from my perspective.
Good luck on the project.
Lay persons coming into the shop always want to know what that is. I think the tire mounted at six feet is
puzzling. When I say its a power hammer they always say "I get it".

Ted

Keith,
Go to local auto repair shops especially those that repair or scrap wrecks and inquire. I found mine that way and the guy was happy to give it to me because he said he has to pay to have them disposed of. One scrap yard I went to puts them on the ground and sets the junkers on them to keep the cars out of the mud.
You may ask them to save you one if they will. Not all scrap dealers are friendly and easy to deal with. Sometimes $25 to $50 might bring them around.
Ted