I Forge Iron

Look into the past

The link below is for documentaries done in Sweden in the 1920's. These show craftsmen of old doing various types of handwork and other skills.

nailmaker,
wheelright making a hub,
potter,

furnituremaker,
woodenshoe maker
printing roll paper or cloth

dying yard, textiles
small lathe work in wood
making a bucket

and others I have not yet watched. They are really cool and show the skill and speed at which these guys could work. These are just great videos. Note the crude but very effective nailmakers anvil. Another vid shows two smiths making something for horses I believe. I dont know what they are but these guys were good at turning them out!
Enjoy.
Bob

1920's Träskomakeri, träskedstillverkning, stolmakeri (utan ljud) 1923 -

Thank You very VERY much for sharing these with us!!! It fascinates me to see the wondrous skill and speed with which they are working. I timed the nailmaker at about twenty seconds each! IME that is VERY fast. One heat, and I notice that his nails are (like cut nails) rectangular rather than square. Also I see no double nicking with his hardy... cut mostly through, bend and twist off. I can see how he might get 300+ nails in a couple hours. I will study this film more carefully over the next few days. WOWIE!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

The link below is for documentaries done in Sweden in the 1920's. .......wheelright making a wooden wheel,

Once I "Installningar" then "Spela i FlashPlayer" I was able to see this wonderful video. Thank you very much for sharing, it shows how a wheelwright/smith can do a lot of the processes accurately by hand without jigs and specialty tooling..... after making a few hundred wheels to develop the necessary skills.

I might note that some steps in the wheelmaking process appear to have been left out. Still the film is a very valuable documentation of the handmaking process.

I could be wrong, and often am, but I am convinced that the film has been speeded up significantly. My humble understanding is that early film had less frames per inch and that a common practice when converting to a more modern medium was to convert frame by frame thus resulting in a faster version after conversion. If I may point out that the wheelwrights hands at times move so fast as to be a blur of motion that one would expect only from a native from Kripton. :D

There was a big to-do about "native crafts" after WWI as a part of the rise in nationalism in the 20's and 30's. A side effect was that many things soon to be lost were well documented even if some of them had a slant to the reporting.

Thanks for the links!

(and I agree that these were undercranked)

The link below is for documentaries done in Sweden in the 1920's. These show craftsmen of old doing various types of handwork and other skills.

nailmaker,
wheelright making a hub,
potter,

furnituremaker,
woodenshoe maker
printing roll paper or cloth

dying yard, textiles
small lathe work in wood
making a bucket

and others I have not yet watched. They are really cool and show the skill and speed at which these guys could work. These are just great videos. Note the crude but very effective nailmakers anvil. Another vid shows two smiths making something for horses I believe. I dont know what they are but these guys were good at turning them out!
Enjoy.
Bob

1920's Träskomakeri, träskedstillverkning, stolmakeri (utan ljud) 1923 - Öppet arkiv | SVT Play

That is the first time I have ever seen an ox shoe with an ice spike on it!