I Forge Iron

How much do you pay for solid forge fuel?

howdy all:rolleyes:.....how much do you pay for your fuel, and or how much time do you invest in making, ie, charcoal?

and how much do you use in a day if time permits a day(for hobby), and commercial.

just out of interest if its an interesting enough topic for the forum.

here in brisbane, its costs me, $25-$30 a bag for charcoal.
it costs about $100 for a 44 gal drum of coal if they con you to be a member of somewhere or something i got told.
it costs about $25-$30 to fill a 9kg gas bottle.

i use very little gas in the gassy but when the big ones finnished i will pass it on.
i can use up to nearly a bag doing big steel all day.

Just bought a half a ton of soft coal yesterday, near Lancaster, PA, USA. It's running $225 per ton. About twice what it was two years ago. That price was loose, just dumped in your truck. They also had it in 50 pound bags for $8.00 per bag. So that would be $320 bagged or an aditional $95 for bagging. I bagged a half ton today in an hour and a half.

Propane cost about $18 for a 20 pound tank to be refilled, not exchanging tanks.

Ususally I use a 5 gallon buck of coal a day or if doing a lot of forge welding a bucket and a half.

I have used charcoal, but don't like it much. Too much sparking.

Pretty sure I was buying coal for $0.18 a pound, bag it yourself.

I found a guy on Craig's list selling used 5 gallon buckets for $1 a piece with lids. That is cheaper that bagged coal on the first use! Easy to haul and store.

This is for the good smithing coal, I forget the name of it. Get it from William's just south of Boston. (I think that is the name of it)

Can't make charcoal at home, but the couple times I have made it at my wife's uncles lot it takes a few hours to fill three or four ten pound bags. Doesn't include the 90 minute drive there or cleaning the charcoal...
10lb bag of charwood or royal oak ~$5.50 each
50lb bag of coal $50-60

I am at 8.97+tax USD for 40 lb bag.. at Aubuchons Hardware store. This chain is limited to the Northeast I guess, it is labeled blacksmith coal... from the Blashak coal company. That works out to be around 450 USD per short ton .... cokes nice... not too many fines... me likey!! better than the heating anthracite I had before....

Coke seems hard to get hold of in this part of Oz (So far, anyway). The nearest supplier I know of charges $200 for a 44gallon drum (Sacks just rot in no time here, so the extra cost of the drums is worth it.). As Double Edge2 says, you can get it cheaper by joining the local farriers association and chipping in for the shipment, although you then have to get it home yourself - i.e buy your own drums or whatever.

Edited by Ratel10mm

This is really dated but I'll post it anyway for comparison...a friend and I bought 5 tons in 1986 (I gave him a ton and kept the rest) - I am still working off that with maybe 1000 lbs left. However, it's fortunate that I started using propane several years ago as that cut my coal usage considerably. Nobody probably wants to hear that it was $35 a ton at the mine back then. We drove to nearest town (Stigler), stayed the night then went to the mine early the next morning and had the coal bagged by lunch, then showered and drove home. With the gas, food and a night's stay on the 2-day round trip to Oklahoma, we got it back here for about $6 per 100 lbs. The prices people are posting here are pretty scary, hope I don't need any for a while.

For some time now, the Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland has been buying bulk coal for the membership, the blacksmith school and for the Carroll County Farm Museum's Historic Forge.

For the last couple of years we have been getting SEWAL VEIN coal from West Virginia. (Best coal I have ever used) The draw back is that they will only sell by the semi load. The last delivery was 26 tons and we had to bag it by hand.

We are experimenting with MOSHANNON coal from Madera Enterprises in Clearfield PA. They are offering the coal at $180 a ton, loose at their location; $200 a ton, loose, delivered to Westminster, MD; $220 a ton, bagged, delivered to Westminster. We sell the bagged coal to Guild members for $7 per 50 pounds and $10 per 50 pounds to non-members.

Initial tests of the MOSHANNON coal show it to be a very good blacksmithing coal, almost as good as SEWAL. The Guild has decided to go ahead with an initial purchase of 7 tons of bagged coal to do more extensive evaluation.

Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland

• 2 weeks later...

I make my own charcoal out of 2 X construction scrap.
I make 3 55 gal barrels at a burn.
takes 1/2 hour to fill the barrels
1 to 1 1/2 hour to burn but I can be doing other things than watch it.
Yield is 40 to 50 % by volume
Made 2 pick up loads last fall.
I have to but a handfull or two every heat when forging but a 30 gal bag last a day or two

G'Day, I get my coke from a coke works about an hours drive from home. They currently sell it for AU $255 plus GST (10% tax) per tonne, you can get a truck load, a ute load or even by the bag (fill your own). My ute was playing up last time so I took the family 4x4 and got about 250kgs for about $75

Ian Ross