I Forge Iron

got my self a good anvil!

Nice score,

I bought one sight unseen ($220) off another list with what was listed as a “190+ lb anvil with metal stand” my unknown 190lb anvil was really a 132lb hay budden. The stand was a NC big face with the kewl step vise. I could not be happier. Once you have anvil and stand in hand try not to grin so big you split your lip. Congrats

Dave

just got home with the anvil, the base/stand is about an inch thick actually and has a flat top and bottom, no way to fix the anvil to it though :S very nice anvil though it's a forged body not sure it it's steel or iron? any ways to tell? very pleased with it though not much damage at all the just a few marks on the step really where someone has been using a chisel to cut *rolls eyes* shame about that, but they are not very deep so all in all pretty nice :)

You can weld 'eyes' to the sides of the base then weld bolts on the ends of a length of chain. Run the chain over the feet of the anvil and the bolts through the 'eyes' and apply the nuts to ends of bolts. I would use at least 1/2" bolts and nuts. 5/8" or 3/4" would probably be better.

OR weld a piece of angle or what ever in front and back of anvil, drill 2 holes in each, weld nuts over holes and run the bolts through to tighten against the feet of the anvil.

OR....I can think of a few more ways to anchor your anvil just by looking at your posted picture....OK, now, hopefully I have started you to thinking 'outside the box' and you can come up with a few way. I have never seen an anvil base and anvil that "no way to fix the anvil to it though :S"

Very nice anvil. Enjoy it!

Ragnarok,

I know you were kidding about finding a huge log but I moved my anvil off the NC anvil stand because it was too high and hammering up hill hurt my elbow. The anvil rests on a log most of the time and if I travel, I bring the metal stand. They are ok for small quick projects.

The log was another great search. My wife would not let me drop the oak in the yard (dunno why) so that left me without a source for a big chunk of wood. In the end, even my slow mind gets an idea if I wait long enough. After finally remembering I live in Florida; it dawned on me farmers are everywhere. To find farmers you have to find a small country church. Convincing my wife I wanted to attend one almost caused her to drop dead from surprise and shock but in the end, it worked just as planned. I met farmers, one invited me over and I picked out a nice log anvil stand, which that nut thought was firewood. Now I need a plan to convince my wife I no longer need to attend church. Oh, I forgot the men are full of stories of old blacksmiths, most have a few hammers, tongs or other passed down tools and two have family anvils. They will not part with the anvils (yet) but love to tell me about who used them and when. I have not found anyone with an old forge yet but I

Ragnarok,

I know you were kidding about finding a huge log but I moved my anvil off the NC anvil stand because it was too high and hammering up hill hurt my elbow. The anvil rests on a log most of the time and if I travel, I bring the metal stand. They are ok for small quick projects.

The log was another great search. My wife would not let me drop the oak in the yard (dunno why) so that left me without a source for a big chunk of wood. In the end, even my slow mind gets an idea if I wait long enough. After finally remembering I live in Florida; it dawned on me farmers are everywhere. To find farmers you have to find a small country church. Convincing my wife I wanted to attend one almost caused her to drop dead from surprise and shock but in the end, it worked just as planned. I met farmers, one invited me over and I picked out a nice log anvil stand, which that nut thought was firewood. Now I need a plan to convince my wife I no longer need to attend church. Oh, I forgot the men are full of stories of old blacksmiths, most have a few hammers, tongs or other passed down tools and two have family anvils. They will not part with the anvils (yet) but love to tell me about who used them and when. I have not found anyone with an old forge yet but I

I wasn't kidding about getting a big log! :/ wouldn't be very hard for me to find one :P
not sure i want to start welding and drilling holes in the stand though, how did they attach the anvil to this kind of stand originally? it just has o hole in the side about 3-4" wide and one in the bottom about the same size, there are three marks in the surface that the anvil sits on as if some thing has broken off maybe.
I didn't get the little stake anvil I'm afraid, maybe i should have really.

Metal base with anvil on, and some indication of bits missing from plate,

One way of stopping the anvil moving about would be to forge two bars to suit the curves on the base of the anvil and weld (or bolt) them to the plate, the anvil could then be removed if you need to.

Alternatively if you think you have to secure it solidly you could make corner clamps and secure them with screwd rod and nuts

yeah i was thinking of bolting plates to it so it could be taken on and off, the marks are strange they're in a triangle and don't seem to match up with places that would be showing when the anvil is on the stand in the right position, in any case don't think it'll be much of a problem really, what do you reckon the best way of lifting it about 4-5" is? planks under the stand?