I Forge Iron

Accepting credit cards at shows

Does anybody take credit cards at shows? I am doing my first on on Sept. 12 and have had a h*** of a time finding a short-term account that I can use for a single show. Paypal has a fairly simple one but it doesn't seem to have a way to verify whether a card is valid on the spot. I am also looking at one through my local bank, but it requires a 2 year committment where I'd be paying $20 for every month that I don't use it.:mad:

I know that accepting cards can boost your business - particularly on high-dollar items - not that I have that many - but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it this time around or if I should wait until this show is over and see how it goes first.:confused:

If anyone has any experience with a situation like this, some input would be much-appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Setting up to take cc's for just one show isn't worth it unless it's a very high end and your confidence level that you will have significant sales is really up there.

While accepting cc's can bring in buyers who might not be willing to part with their cash, its not guaranteed. You want to have a known level of business to justify the fees and percentages you pay for the service.

Do a lot of research and make sure to shop around for a service provider - there's some good deals to be had but you can get into some high overhead agreements as well so choose carefully.

The processing service I use doesn't require a term commitment, their service is great and the percentage fee is reasonable.

Good luck, let us know how the show goes!

Setting up to take cc's for just one show isn't worth it unless it's a very high end and your confidence level that you will have significant sales is really up there.

While accepting cc's can bring in buyers who might not be willing to part with their cash, its not guaranteed. You want to have a known level of business to justify the fees and percentages you pay for the service.

Do a lot of research and make sure to shop around for a service provider - there's some good deals to be had but you can get into some high overhead agreements as well so choose carefully.

The processing service I use doesn't require a term commitment, their service is great and the percentage fee is reasonable.

Good luck, let us know how the show goes!

I am VERY tempted to take the advice of not accepting cards and seeing how it goes this time. For reference though, who is your service?

I know that cc processors take 1 to 4 % of your gross for the privilege. Plus a monthly sometimes. Some take more.... I would not deal with it for a first show, you'll have your hands full with that, why complicate things?

Also keep a list of things you brought and wish you brought!! It'll come in handy for you second show.... So you can have a checklist for packing your truck!

Here is my suggestion.
If someone wants to buy something, but only has a card they have a couple of options. Find an ATM- a lot of places have portable ATM's now for this reason, find a local bank branch, or cut you a check, and have you ship when the check clears.USPS flat rate boxes are pretty economical for up to 70# if it will fit, and the price is known ahead of time. Depending on the price of the item it may be less than the CC fees. No reason to lose a sale due to not accepting CC's.

It may sound primitive to not accept CC's, but you are in a primitive business- right?

It's a little thing called customer service that a lot of businesses have forgotten about.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

I wouldn't bother with getting a contract, wait and see. I have found for myself there is usually a cash point/atm machine somewhere close and they can go get the cash if they want it. Those that would spend money on the card in an impulse purchase, are not that many, I always find shows are really a good showcase, have lots of business cards, because the big money is in commissions, and someone may see your work there and decide to commission something, sometimes months later they give you a call out of the blue. I don't honestly think I've ever lost a customer because they couldn't pay with a card.

Hi Colleen, you may not lose a customer, but you could lose a sale.

As an individual, working from your own workshop with an occassional show, then economically credit/debit card facilities may not be viable.

However if you figure on primarily making items and selling them at shows, then long term electronic money facilities just has to be the way to go.

Our Guild debated long and hard about taking on this facility as it had to prove its worth economically, and we agreed to try it for a trial period. All our members can use the facility at the shows we attend, and all they pay is a small percentage to cover the cost of the agreement and machinery.

The items our members bring to the shows are all good quality hand forged by them and vary in price from a few pounds to much more expensive.

Sales at the shows immediately increased throughout the range of items being sold, and it is not unknown for items to be sold over the counter that are priced in excess of

Just my 2 pennies worth. I've done craft shows for just over ten years and have never taken credit cards. Usually on site there is going to be the ATM. I've not lost but a couple of sales over this time. I'm a pretty die hard Dave Ramsey fan and opposed to the use of credit cards. If you do many shows a card machine may be for you. If just starting out don't bother with them. What point is there working for Visa if you wish to be self employed. Hope you have a good show no matter what form of payment you accept.

i second the opinion that cc isnt worth it for one show... ive been doing shows for 25 years and i did go the cc route once but unless your doing 500 or better a month in cc buisness it really isnt worth the hassle... i am going to look in to doing it again but only because i have a regular venu at the museum for 6 months of the year...it will inprove sales but not as much as you would think .. people use the card first but if you dont acept um they dig out the cash..good luck!

Hello:

I would say if you are serious about doing this on a "paying basis" then DO IT...I have taken plastic for the last 32 years and never even had one "charge back" (that is where the card isn't any "good"...for some reason or another). I would say that 80% of my sales at the one show I do a year are on cards. Almost 95% of the sales I do off my website are on plastic.

Yeah you get "hit" with a 1 to 3% "fee" from the company but on a $10,000.00 day that isn't "missed" much...

I use a wireless terminal (it has it's own satelite communication system) and it's a very easy thing to do..you run the card and it's done.. two days later the funds are in my account.

The only difficulty you may have is qualifying for a card account. Banks and credit services are very picky as to who they allow to set up accounts due to all the fraud. You will need a state resale number..a business banking account and probably a 095 number from the IRS (that is a employer ID number..I strongly suggest you get one as it makes it easier for tax purposes) as well as (maybe) a city or county business license. In other words you need to be totally "legit" on this.

This also will show your potential clientele that you are an "established" business and as such.."legit"...

Now if you are just doing this "part time" and don't intend to make a go at this as a means of steady income..well..that choice is up to you. Like I said I do one show a year (although this year I will be doing two) and plastic accounts for the vast majority of my sales...especially though my website.

I do know that my sales tripled almost immediately when I started accpeting cards...

Hope this helps

JPH