I Forge Iron

I know this probably gets old but...spike knife

chuckster2.0

16962.attach 16963.attach

This is what my first railroad spike knife currently looks like.
I went to a local railroad and found 20 spikes lying around or so loose in the track that a toddler could pick it out. This actually is not my first attempt. My first attempt ended up melting slightly which I did not believe could happen with the forge I had built. I also had help from a friend since I do not have tongs that allow you to hold in one hand with out the blade slipping out. He held it and I hammered out the shape and told him where to move it. I still have to harden the blade a bit and put a handle on it. I am going to try to make my own stablized wood but what kind is proving hard to figure out.
any criticism would be appreciated as I have much to learn. Also, handle material suggestions would be helpful
Sorry obout the picture quality, but all I have is my laptop webcam. Edited by chuckster2.0

Looks like it would take a lot of pounding to get where you are from a RR spike. Good work. That knife has good lines.

For handles. I like micarta on hard using knifes and woods like rosewood, walnut, desert ironwood on fancier blades myself. If you can stabilize the wood then just about anything will work.

Just be careful at the railroad. Taking anything from it is against the law. Even if the spike is laying on the ground covered up by gravel.They frown upon trespassing. Safest bet would be to go there next time you see workers on it and ask them, they are usually pretty generous esp. if you throw a knife their way. But waiting isnt always and option is it ;)

Seriously!? Because the spikes I pulled out would have fallen out the next time the train came anyway. If they charge me with terrorism then they need to lighten up.

Chuckster2.0,

Listen to these folks. Terrorism, theft, trespass, vandalism, it all depends on what the RR wants the local prosecutor to charge. Technically it's the prosecutor's call but in these cases they listen to the property owners. Even if the spike fell out it still belongs to the RR. Whatever is charged, as micky mouse as you think it may be, even if you win the trial it will really screw up your whole week.

Don't take the chance. Call the RR first and ask permission. If you get it get it in writing. Good luck.

Bill

In case you are wondering McMaster-Carr is what Donnie is referring to. Btw what you have there looks good. What scales you planning to use?

I am leaning towards denim micarta since I want the handle to have a high polish and I don't have the money to get the wood stabilized. I will always stabilize the wood because I don't have the patience to care for the wood in the dry Colorado air. Micarta is cheaper and something I can make. Not only that but it is much stronger than wood.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/micarta_tough.htm
I also find it as beautiful as wood.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I get my spikes from sections of RR ties that have been cut and used as fenceposts. hawaii hasn't had a railroad in many decades. I agree with the idea that it's not worth the risk of removing spikes from existing RR property. You can buy un-used spikes on ebay for as low as $1-$2 ea. Impressive blade, though.

I get my spikes from sections of RR ties that have been cut and used as fenceposts. hawaii hasn't had a railroad in many decades. I agree with the idea that it's not worth the risk of removing spikes from existing RR property. You can buy un-used spikes on ebay for as low as $1-$2 ea. Impressive blade, though.

As someone mentioned earlier (and I order some today) you can get them new from McMaster-Carr for that price:

1 Pack 97897A779 Plain Steel Railroad Spike 9/16" Size, 5-1/2" Length, Packs of 5
$6.57
1 Pack 97897A818 Plain Steel Railroad Spike 5/8" Size, 6" Length, Packs of 5
$7.60