I Forge Iron

2" pipe to build a tire rim forge

hank57

being new here i have a problem. i've been looking for 2" pipe to build a tire rim forge with 2" black pipe under the rim for my blower to hook up to. lowes and home depot only have 2" galvanized pipe. the best value hardware store has the same thing. is there something else i can use ?
thanks henry

Check the dumpster behind the muffler shop. Ask nicely and you might get the new short pieces they discard as well as the entire length of the old pipe that was just removed. Tell the fellow what you want and buy him lunch and he may weld the T into the down pipe while your going for the burgers. (grin) You may want to review BP0133 55 Forge for some ideas.

Hank,

As a safe operating practice, consider not using fittings pipes and fasteners that are galvanized anywhere where they will be exposed to high temps. The thermal break down of the zinc poses a fume posioning hazard and the results can be deadly or debilitative. Always keep in mind that we are the last safety check in our shops.

Peter

The way that the folks at Durrett Sheppard Co. explained it to me was that "pipe" is a steel tube that has passed testing for pressure and that "tubing" is basically the same pipe that has not been tested for pressure. So what you are asking for when talking to a place like Durrett Sheppard is "unplated 2 inch ID structural *tubing*". On the other hand Boulevard Sales in Baltimore only sells structural materials and told me to call it "black pipe". Untested structural grade tubing is likely to cost less than tested black pipe. So I would humbly suggest calling around to the places that sell structural materials and ask for "2" diameter black pipe or 2" diameter structural tubing". :D

The pipe under the fire pot is not going to get hot enough to burn off the galvy unless you build something really odd. Seriously, zinc doesn't burn till it's middlin orange hot and that ain't going to happen with air blowing through it.

You can also get unplated mild steel exhaust pipe.

Frosty

Isn't some stove pipe galvanized.. and I have seen plenty of it get plenty warm from a wood stove without burning the zinc .... Disclaimer... just a personal observation!!

Also if you look for structural tubing, be ready to give a wall thickness in decimal inches i.e. .125 inches is 1/8th inch thick... thinner might be better...

.... how about looking for schedule 40 steam pipe.. threaded, not bolt or weld together.. its non galvy...
Good Luck,
Cliff

Hank heck i wish i had read this post earlyer! i have abunch of stuff to build forges. Drop me a note next time you are scrounging and ill bring you out to the scrap pile and go hunting. I work at a shop that reclames the halon out of the BIG fire bottles in computer rooms we get all kinds of pipe,and just plane stuff.

Hank to cool! i am curently learning under a smith down in santa fe. all the work i get to do is down in his shop. But i am sure he would like to meet you. We will definantly need to make some time to b.s. soon. If you need a old high pressure tank bottom to make spoons or bowls let me know i have a few that we can cut up.

• 2 weeks later...

so after 2 heart attacks in the last 5 yrs.and 7 stents later the dr. keeps tell me to walk every day for 30 min. i have done and its borring. so i don't do it every day.
well i found out this weekend that forging a knife is just as good as walking those 30 min. if not better. i did not know how hard it was to beat the heck out of a piece of steel to make it look like a knife. i got my work out that day. to tell you the truth it even felt good the rest of the day.
as soon as i get pic taker i'll
put up some pics.
thanks for the help guys.
henry

henry what part of town are you in? i am in the subdivision behind kroger on 45. if you want i have an old fire plug sitting in my front yard you may have for a swage block if you want it. have no clue as to if it will work and ill help you pick the darn thing up! got it in austin back when i worked road construction.

• 3 weeks later...