I Forge Iron

Name of this Tool.

A trick that I picked up from a master blade smith, Chris Marks, is to use a spliting wedge as a chisel, and big hammer. He remarked that on the twist you will not usually be off enough to make a difference and the main thing was to make it straight and deep enough.

Edited by Charlotte
spelling

I use my veining tool a blunted and reprofiled cold chisel. A set chisel is fine too.

One tip is to have a curved edge (like an axe blade) it makes holding a straight line a LOT easier.

Another tip is to set the handle at an angle so you can see what's happening without looking around the handle and your hand.

Frosty

I think the tool you are asking about is a rope swage. You do need a power hammer or striker to use one effectively though. 3/8 is small enough that you could probably get away with a treadle hammer or possibly a flypress.

when I do copper work, you scribe a line prior to chasing it with a small chisel, so I thought, what if I tried that method on mild steel, maybe it would give me a groove to go with, I took a scratch awl, and scribed a fat line down the bar, and guess what? it worked, My chisel followed much easier than freehand, give it a try and let me know how it works!!

I think the tool you are asking about is a rope swage. You do need a power hammer or striker to use one effectively though. 3/8 is small enough that you could probably get away with a treadle hammer or possibly a flypress.

Thanks for all of your help, J Newman was right it's called a Rope Swage, I was wondering what the name was so I could find one and get a idea on how I want to make mine, you all shared some real good idea's.. Thanks again..Tom

Tom, I'll take a pic of the rope swage I made and post it tomorrow. They're pretty easy to make, just some time and effort in the happy building.

I'll give the scribed line a try Mike. Anything that makes anything easier is worth a try.

Frosty

Here you are Tom.

I made it to dress some table legs I didn't get swaged quite to full depth so it isn't as heavy duty as it should be for under a power hammer though I'm going to give it a test before I make another.

It's for a 3/4" rope twist so each half is 3/8".

The picture of me using a rope swage is at Metalmangler's place, his hammer and swage but that's how it's done.

Frosty

16039.attach

16040.attach

16041.attach

16042.attach