I Forge Iron

10,800 lbs. of anvils for sale

On the sacramento craigslist. Will not separate. 83 anvils, 5 swage blocks. $2.50 a pound ($27,000). A&h, trenton, Hay-Budden, fisher, Columbian, Foster., Mousehole, Peter Wright, etc.
I have no affiliation with seller, just posting to spread the word.

Wondering if all that stuff came from the demolition of the old rail yard? Why doesn't he want to break up the lot? Like Brasilikilt said--it's guys like that who make it so hard for guys like me to find a decent piece of steel to beat on!

Just checked his page and it states CASH ONLY over, and over, and over again--I don't like this guy already!

Edited by chrisfrick
added content

Cbl,
Before I got my euro I had real hard time trying to find anvil because the ones I found where being sold by Collectors for new prices for BEAT anvils , You have reasonable prices but MOST I have came in contact with By NO means were reasonable and were being used a yard art and its heartbreaking to a someone who would USE it that someone has a anvil is letting it rust down and wont sell it at a fair price. My .02 cents worth.
Chris

Anvil collections its very disheartening to see them as a beginning smith. I've seen a few and initially I was annoyed too. Some simple math made it clear that I could get a new anvil of twice the weight and less cash compared a used one because of the collectors and antique dealers. I made my mind up that they can enjoy their paper weights.

Anyone who is so serious about collecting tons of anvils that they would deprive a budding blacksmith from a fair purchase does not have the heart of a true blacksmith in my opinion. This guy on craigslist can take a long walk off a short peer.

I think you guys need to spend less time complaining about anvil collectors, a little less time complaining on this forum, and a little more time looking for them and maybe then you will find one!

In my search for anvils I have had encounters with ****,
I had some lady try to convince me that a 110 lb Vulcan was brought over on the Oregon trail.
I also had some guy in an antique store start yelling at me and almost chase me out of his store with a broom handle when I pointed out that his "really nice" anvil was a harbor freight aso that looked as though it had been dragged behind a truck for several hours.

I've put the word out there, asked everyone I know, cruised garage sales, ebay, craigslist.

I hear murmurings that there's a guy in the area with 7 anvils for sale....he still hasn't bothered to contact me.

There's a 140# for sale a few hours drive from me, but the guy still hasn't sent any pictures.

I will still keep looking.

I still want to kick this anvil-hoarding guy in the head

Edited by mod07

He wants 20K+ CASH???? That alone sets alarm bells ringing.

However, I reckon a group buy could work, if we could get enough guys to contribute, and then maybe a raffle to allocate the items? Dunno how us overseas guys would work it, with shipping, but it's maybe an idea worth persuing, IF mr. cash only is for real & actually legaly owns the equipment.

I think you guys need to spend less time complaining about anvil collectors, a little less time complaining on this forum, and a little more time looking for them and maybe then you will find one!

In my search for anvils I have had encounters with ****,
I had some lady try to convince me that a 110 lb Vulcan was brought over on the Oregon trail.
I also had some guy in an antique store start yelling at me and almost chase me out of his store with a broom handle when I pointed out that his "really nice" anvil was a harbor freight aso that looked as though it had been dragged behind a truck for several hours.

I've put the word out there, asked everyone I know, cruised garage sales, ebay, craigslist.

I hear murmurings that there's a guy in the area with 7 anvils for sale....he still hasn't bothered to contact me.

There's a 140# for sale a few hours drive from me, but the guy still hasn't sent any pictures.

I will still keep looking.

I still want to kick this anvil-hoarding guy in the head

Lol @ phillip hehe

You know there is one silver lining in all this hard to find anvil business. It may make smiths turn to new Anvils, save up a summers or twos worth of cash before purchase. It may make new smiths more serious about the investment in anvils and it will help those who are working on making superior brand new anvils stay afloat in these hard times.

I look at it this way, if foundry's stop making new anvils (because of expense or lack of demand) and the old anvils (those in any kind of decent condition) start getting harder to find then the price of anvils are going to skyrocket out of rarity. Also the diversity of anvil manufacturers will narrow down to even fewer sources then there are today. Perhaps this is an indication that it's really time to start supporting these businesses who are desperately trying to keep the industry alive for the backyard/small shop blacksmith. Edited by mod07
Quote language deleted

I know of one small foundry in Mississipi that manufactured a few very nice cast steel anvils but stopped manufacturing because of production problems. They were selling to the local market, Mississppi, Alabama and Louisiana.
They have recently begun doing fire pots. I hope they will return to doing bick irons and anvil cones.

I sent the president of the company information about the situation with Euro anvils. His reply to me is why I have the above information.

Lol @ phillip hehe

You know there is one silver lining in all this hard to find anvil business. It may make smiths turn to new Anvils, save up a summers or twos worth of cash before purchase. It may make new smiths more serious about the investment in anvils and it will help those who are working on making superior brand new anvils stay afloat in these hard times.

I look at it this way, if foundry's stop making new anvils (because of expense or lack of demand) and the old anvils (those in any kind of decent condition) start getting harder to find then the price of anvils are going to skyrocket out of rarity. Also the diversity of anvil manufacturers will narrow down to even fewer sources then there are today. Perhaps this is an indication that it's really time to start supporting these businesses who are desperately trying to keep the industry alive for the backyard/small shop blacksmith.

Ya know what?

I totally agree. I really wish that I could afford a new anvil.
Nimba comes to mind because they are a Northwest company and from what I've heard, produce a quality product.
The truth is, until I start making money with blacksmith work, I simply would no be able to afford spending $1,000+ for an anvil.

I only have $300 allotted for an anvil, and I'm already taking that purchase quite seriously.

If a person is thinking about making money with his tools can he afford a used anvil? It costs time and gas to travel to auctions and sales. what does that used anvil cost after a year or years of running around looking for it. The time could be used refining skills and the gas money put to the price of the anvil. If searching is recreation for you that's another story, but if I wanted to make money, I'd buy new and get to work.

Tyro, a lot of guys are doing thsi activity as a hobby. If it turns them a shekel or two then that is extra. I am one of those I suppose although I do get paid to teach blacksmithing and general metalwork. If you look at how little lots of guys charge for e.g. a custom knife then I doubt if they are making minimum wage let alone any return on their investment in equipment.

The thing is that if it is a hobby then a lot of the fun is in scratching round and visiting sales etc. From a purely commercial point of view I am sure the best thing to do is buy tool steel of known quality, buy tongs and an anvil and a hardy! The amount of time spent on making most tongs would actually make them far more expensive than shop bought. If, however, you enjoy the hobby and are not fully booked with paying jobs then make stuff. I do a combination of both.

Think of it like 4WD. The amateur enthusiasts are always looking for new callenges- muddier trails, steeper hills etc. etc. A soldier or farmer driving a 4WD as a job always looks for the easiest route.

Main thing is do what works for you.

Tyro, a lot of guys are doing thsi activity as a hobby. If it turns them a shekel or two then that is extra. I am one of those I suppose although I do get paid to teach blacksmithing and general metalwork. If you look at how little lots of guys charge for e.g. a custom knife then I doubt if they are making minimum wage let alone any return on their investment in equipment.

The thing is that if it is a hobby then a lot of the fun is in scratching round and visiting sales etc. From a purely commercial point of view I am sure the best thing to do is buy tool steel of known quality, buy tongs and an anvil and a hardy! The amount of time spent on making most tongs would actually make them far more expensive than shop bought. If, however, you enjoy the hobby and are not fully booked with paying jobs then make stuff. I do a combination of both.

Think of it like 4WD. The amateur enthusiasts are always looking for new callenges- muddier trails, steeper hills etc. etc. A soldier or farmer driving a 4WD as a job always looks for the easiest route.

Main thing is do what works for you.

I understand ..........thanks.

It sucks that people like this hoard tools as collectibles. If people like this weren't doing this then the average person could buy a decent used anvil for a fair price.

Collectors suck! They hoard as much as they can and not use any of what they are collecting while those folks that would love to put just one item to use can't afford it because of the collector.

The sad part is that most people wont be able to buy this lot, move it, or store it so it will probably end up getting sold as scrap and melted down.

Arg....

Edited by Greebe