I Forge Iron

10,800 lbs. of anvils for sale

I still hate this guy! I'd really like to see this lot in person to see what kind of condition everything is in-could be total junk, or could be brand new never used stuff (and I could have the $27K in cash to purchase...:) I just pray that someone who knows what the heck these things are and are worth buys them up. I shudder at the thought of them being melted down!

Yeah, but I'm not a "serious investor"--that's why I haven't entertained the idea of taking a look. (I believe my wife would do something rather nasty to parts of me that I really like if I even mentioned something like..."there's this guy with a ship load of anvils for sale and I'd like to take a look at...") ;)

Ah, I just let the collectors go at it, I pounded on a rail iron for a while until I found the Peter Wright. I had just as much enjoyment out of the railroad iron as I am just tinkering, but if I made it my business I would purchase or make a power hammer. The fun and feeling of accomplishment is to do with what you have in my case. I make my own rifle repairs with modern hand tools. The old timers made beautiful pieces with hand made tools, drills and files. So, let the collectors go at it. I think some of them are a very entertaining and interesting.

Man, the guy does sound like he deprives the craft of its necessities. I'm a collector of many things, but even if I collected anvils, they'd most likely be anvils I spent my hard time working on myself, and even then, to deprive any blacksmith looking for such an essential tool for their craft is a selfish endeavor.

And it could be just a scam. When you show up with your $27K, he robs you. Just a thought. Jerry

There were some incidents where that was happening, it was not just an isolated occurance either, it was happening in more than just one area, they were robbing people of their money and/or their item's they were selling. I learned a long time ago, you never know who you can trust, so don't trust anyone, if you assume everyone is up to no good then your alot less likely to get taken.

welder19

Just re-re-checked the listing. "Seller" states "CASH ONLY"--specifically states, no checks, no money orders, etc. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm now thinking that I would definitely NOT EVEN ENTERTAIN the idea of even looking at this stuff. Guys with pinky rings and baseball bats come to mind! who ***** would walk around with $27K in CASH anyway? Sounds like a scam to me, now that I think about it (but then again, could be some old, crusty guy who doesn't trust banks...oh wait, that's me!)

Edited by mod07
Language

If I had the disposable cash, or hit the lottery, I'd go buy them.;)

Then I'd give them away to aspiring blacksmiths, with the caveat that if they didn't stick with it, they would have to return them.

I would also bring a few friends with me, in case it was a scam (or to help load them, whichever the case).:D

Edited by keykeeper

Who doesn't take a cashiers check or a money order. IT'S A SCAM! No one handles Cash unless they say "Meet me inside XYZ Bank and we'll shall transfer the money AFTER you've inspected the anvils and we've made a deal and you've signed a bill of sale and have in your hand a sales reciept"

Some years ago I was talking with a blacksmith (actually borrowed a blower from him until I got my own). He told me of a collector about an hour and a half from here that would buy up every anvil at every auction. The blacksmith brought a budding apprentice who REALLY needed an anvil to an auction. Sure enough the collector was there. The blacksmith explained the situation to the collector and asked if he could let the apprentice buy just one of the anvils. The collector sneared at them and bought every anvil at the auction.
So, no, I don't care for collectors myself when they do this sort of thing. I'd love to get my hands on a good old anvil. I actually have a railroad track anvil available to me. I just need to take a day trip and get it. But in the long run, I will most likely end up buying a new one one of these days.