I Forge Iron

newbie but needs to know

LiamEgan

Im new to forging and im looking to make a 3 set of knives, the only reason im not taking my time and learning everyother little thing is because im in my final year at school and im an art student i need 2 final artworks.

when i work with metal its just like im drawing or painting, i decided to make the 3 set of knives as my seccond final,

if anybody would like to give me and hadny pointers and tips please do because i love forging and believe that i will do it for the rest of my life

Liam,

Welcome to IFI. What type of knives are you planning to make? Give us a few clues so we can at least help a little bit.

In the meantime, get your forge going and practice fire control, drawing a point/taper, forging a bevel, stopping down for tangs and, really, all the other basics.

Practice as much as you can and give us more info.

Cheers
Rob.

the only reason im not taking my time and learning everyother little thing is because im in my final year at school and im an art student i need 2 final artworks.
I love it......
Would you expect to be able to complete a nice oil painting without some knowledge of the things that woiuld allow that? Good Luck!

Rich,

Its a case of trying to put an old head on young shoulders. I think we just have to roll with the punches and give whatever guidance we can and then its up to the young fella to come up with the goods and, hopefully, learn lots on the way.

Gee..I am old at forging and if you are not willing to take the time to learn it right..why should I cast pearls before swine and even bother answering a question..YOu say you want to do this the rest of your life yet you have noi desire to learn how..just do a botch job?

That is no way to go about anything..let alone something as hazardous as using fire...

JPH

if he read even the slightest bit on this forum, or any serious place; he would know its not a good idea, a shame he cant even research a little, but expects us do it all for him. Maybe a photo of 3 sets of knives is safer LOL

There was another thread about this same thing not too long ago, same thing "I want to present a knife for senior project, but I never did this before". How do they get this idea to join an auto race, but not want to learn to drive?

Stock removal is the only way to avoid forging, but heat treat will have to be farmed out...

Edited by steve sells

Yeah,

Bad form - I spent a year reading and watching vids (and ruined several old files and rasps off of ebay over a piece of rr track) before I ever asked anyone.

You may need to drop or take an incomplete and take a run at the project once you are ready. If something is really going to be a skill that you develop for life, then learning it well is a lot more important than the grade you make in a class. Failing and retaking but acutally learning is a lot better than passing the first time and not really knowing (not to mention not giving proper reverence to the tradition and art of smithing!)

Oh yeah, and I forgot, paying respect to the process of education. You don't have to go to a university to learn, but whatever path you take, you should go about it with integrity and dedication.

Kevin
PhD, Forensic Clinical Psychology
Assistant Professor of Psychology

Edited by kevin (the professor)

If it is for an art project, and is going to be judged by art examiners as a piece of art, rather than bladesmiths as a working knife...

I wonder if you could simply shape a piece of mild steel to look like a knife. Then you could focus more on making something creative, and visually attractive.

Ask your teachers what the project will be graded on. If the examiners can only award you points on your creative and design process, and visual presentation - its pretty irellivant whether it holds an edge, or how impressed they are that you forged it if it they cant award you points for it.

Its good to be ambitious, and I wish you the best of luck, but its also good to be practical. Look at what other people did to get their grades - if you do something more achievable now and do it well, you can then go on to be the best artist bladesmith in the future.

Ever think of a stock removal set of knives instead of forging from the beginning? It will take serious time to get to a stage in your forging to make anything worthwhile in the world of knives but with stock removal its a matter of grinding to the final shapes and heat treating.

G'Day liam ,
i worked with Liam last Sunday . Upper Yarra Museum & Upper Yarra Valley Historical Society

Young bloke , new to smithing .

Getting some hammer time with Bully .

He explained what he was doin' in regards with school & also knows that he wont be able to make blades rite away .

For some 1 who's only been at it a couple of weks think he'll go far .
He must have impressed some 1 with his hammer skills cos they sponsored a copper leaf , only if it was made by Liam .

He took every tip i ( & Bully " hungover " ) gave him & put to GOOD practice

Keep it up Liam , round to square to round to square .. :)

Dale Russell

p.s , Liam , get Bully to bring you over 1 day mate , we'll get too & ruff out a blade or 2 here in my shop ok

Edited by Dale Russell
added more