I Forge Iron

Spike

Hillbillysmith

cant find a picture of my 1st knife, but here is a picture of my 1st spike axe

ok this afternoon i went and found my first 3 knives that i made from railroad spikes, i still need to make me a belt grinder so i can finish them, all i used on the first 2 was a 4" angle grinder, i stopped before i messed them up, the 1st one i got carried away with the twist, but they are in order from left to right

Ron

201.attach

212.attach

213.attach

214.attach

Hello All,
Haven't been able to visit much lately. heres some knives I did back before the ticker went south. the first pic is as forged the second is finished.
It's interesting to see how many ways smiths find to do finish the same basic item

209.attach

210.attach

The first one is actually the first spike knife I ever made. I gave it to my wife for our first wedding anniversary. She loved it, and then orderd that I give her another knife each year. I will post pics up soon of this years when I finish it. All the sanding on that was done with a 3x18 belt sander and a 1/4 sheet pad sander. I took it to about 220, then went to a polishing wheel on my bench grinder. Many hours on that guy.

The others are just a few that I had some pics of.

227.attach

228.attach

229.attach

230.attach

Sqeezplay,
There's 17 in that batch. Took 10 hours to hammer out with my air hammer. Started on a BP to compare average time for air versus muscle. I have the first half done hopefuly I can get the second part done soon.
By the way it took about 14 hours to grind and finish them all.

JWB

JWB:

It took you 10 hours to hammer out 17? Man you are working too hard/long..It takes me like 15 minutes each using my 25# LG and a 8 lb hammer..(less now since I am using Julius.).. and that includes profiling and heat treating. Grinding takes like 5 minutes tops..then again I do have a rather "aggressive" grinder and I tend to really do a lot more shaping with the hammer than most so that cuts down the grind time as well...

These should go really quick...at least they do for me..

JPH

JPH,
For me thats hustling. I never said I worked smart or fast. One of these days I'll manage to get to a hammerin and see how other folks do it. Until that time I guess I'll fumble thru.
In my own little world I thought that was pretty good. Gee I hate reality!

JWB

JWB:

Ok..if you'd like I might be able to help ya out on the time line on doing these things.. I mean if it is taking you that long, I think I could just be able to cut down some serious working time. Drop me a note and we can go from there. I really hate to see folks working harder than they have to especially on something this "simple"...

JPH

I think this was about my third or fourth attempt. This photo is so old, note that I was using a HF Cast Iron ASO! It took several hours to do this back then. What I learned since then: Fuller on the diagonal (across the corners) and hit it hard! Keep the heat up, too! Stand close to the anvil so you don't hyperextend your elbow! Finally, look for the "HC" BEFORE you make the blade.......

250.attach

Julian, I have become a certified hammer-snob. I only use hammers by Jr. Strasil (irnsrgn) or similarly pedigreed tools. I still have that hammer but use it only seldom now. I think I got it at HF and as I recall, like all HF hammers, the head came loose!