I Forge Iron

how to make a morningstar or mace?

Hi. I was wondering about a way to make a morningstar or mace by forging. Looking around the Internet with a search engine, there are many instructions for blacksmiths, but they involve the use of a computer and some paid game membership. Besides, they are incomprehensible.

Other search results say that spiked maces were made with spiked wood, and knobbed maces were made by casting iron. It looks like a flanged mace can be made using some sort of collaring technique. Can anyone clarify?

The purpose of my inquiry is to make something that suggests, not duplicates, a mace. This is for key chains. I made a pretty suggestive one by forging a ball end, then center punching it cold. The center punch marks shine a little, suggesting knobs. But, they do not protrude. Still is a hit ;)

I wanted to avoid complicated methods like drilling and tapping, or forge brazing, since these items would typically be fairly small (1/2" ball).

Any ideas? Thanks!

This is for key chains.

Spikes on the end of a key chain would be tough to carry in a pocket, could impale the leg, and would tear clothing, doing exactly what it was designed to do !!

An multi-faceted ball would give the impression. With crisp edges it should look nice. Maybe soften the middle of each edge to give the points more of a star effect.

For keychain size I would probably try to forge out an unplated bolt using the head to make the faceted ball.

There were hundreds of different styles in medieval times however the general take is that the heads were generally WAY smaller than hollywood shows them to be .

I once was postulating making a flanged mace by folding wrought iron plate and forge welding the folds to make the flanges and then curving it and forge welding the overlap to make the socket.

Hi. Thanks. That pineapple twist does sound like a good idea. Like I said, they don't have to be monster spikes. 1/16" is sufficient. I tried putting blobs with a tig welder, and it looked really terrible. But the cut and twist sounds intriguing and quick. I thought of the drill and punch method, but after viewing it at a demo, it is really pain*staking* :) to do.

I tried the faceted ball. It is good, but not suggestive enough. I also thought of a special punch like an eye punch. Haven't tried this out yet.