I Forge Iron

Moving topics

This is just a thought for the forum operators. Would you consider leaving threads in the general forum for a while and maybe move them after they slow down?. I for one, and there may be many more, don't read all of the forums and I tend to miss out on some interesting ones because of this, I'm sure. I like the general discussions the best but when a general question comes up about a tire hammer or an anvil or some such, it gets moved somewhere else and we the general reader miss out. I would bet that if you checked the counts, on average, thread replys drop once they get moved.
Gobbler

Gobbler,

I found that using the new post tab/button/thing at the top of the window allowed me to stay on top of topics i was interested in. i don't have to read every forum to see what is new. it is fast and allows me to pick the topics I want to read. just a suggestion. As always, mileage may vary and what works for one doesn't always work for another.

Brian

This is just a thought for the forum operators. Would you consider leaving threads in the general forum for a while and maybe move them after they slow down?. I for one, and there may be many more, don't read all of the forums and I tend to miss out on some interesting ones because of this, I'm sure. I like the general discussions the best but when a general question comes up about a tire hammer or an anvil or some such, it gets moved somewhere else and we the general reader miss out. I would bet that if you checked the counts, on average, thread replys drop once they get moved. Gobbler

I feel that you have a very good point. Well said.

We are continually improving the site. One of the ways to make things easier to find answers is to put all the questions on a similar subject together.

When we created the anvil sub section we moved over 500 posts. When we created the heat treating sub forum(s) we moved about 100 posts. We left redirects (links) in the old location for two weeks. This should be enough time for everyone that follows a thread to find the new location.

Our intention is to arrange the forum in such a way that if you want to know about anvils, you can find the majority of the information in one location. There will always be some information in others areas of the site. To locate information throughout the site please use the search engine as it looks for the information no matter where it is located.

I agree that following a interesting thread to find it moved is a little confusing. Please be patient as the material is not lost, it just happen to be posted at a time when we were making adjustments to the site.

Gobbler,

I found that using the new post tab/button/thing at the top of the window allowed me to stay on top of topics i was interested in. i don't have to read every forum to see what is new. it is fast and allows me to pick the topics I want to read. just a suggestion. As always, mileage may vary and what works for one doesn't always work for another.

Brian

I mostly agree - clicking on the New Post link brings up all new posts since the last time I logged in.

What would make it even more useful is if there were an "Unread" type of link that brings up any thread that has posts I haven't viewed. Another board I frequent uses SMF and at the bottom on the "New Posts" results is a "Show all unread" link that does what I'm talking about.

I THINK what Gobbler is saying he loses track of threads with posts he's interested in after a while.

I think it's just a matter of the thread in question getting bumped down the list till it's no longer "current". This usually only takes a day of no new posts and a thread is off the front. so to speak.

There are a number of ways to "keep track" of threads you wish to follow. #1 would be to subscribe to it, that way if there are any new posts you'll get notified.

Another is to go to the Archive at the bottom right of a page in the blue bar, click on it and search out the subject in question.

There are a couple I've written down on a postit so I don't have to search for them.

Anyway, for the most part posts don't get moved unless they're mis-categorized, they just get displaced far enough down the list they don't show up on top.

Frosty

In front of each thread is an icon. At the bottom of the page is a definition of the icons. These are very helpful in determining which thread you wish to open and read.

You can use the From the time feature to show only those posts that have been made during the time interval you choose. The time feature stays set until you manually choose another time interval. Slick on show threads to apply your changes.