I Forge Iron

Well I'll be???

My wife's birthday was today and when I got up to go to work at 5:30am my young bloke did also and said "Dad when you get home can we do some blacksmithing cause I want to make Mum something for her birthday". "Yeah no worries mate" He's always in my smitty with me and tells me he is learning heaps, he even has his own anvil. I ran a bit late getting home from work and when I did my wife said "Go and have a look at your son". Well what I saw made me proud as punch. My son had lit the forge by himself and was banging away making his mother a hook for her birthday. He was wearing his safety glasses and his glove. I was gobsmacked, very proud, but shuttered at the hazards because after all he's only 7. Have spoken to him about the dangers being numerous and although do not want to queunch his spirit he is not to do it again without his old man, he understood. Has anyone else got a little blacksmith in the family, proud very proud. (Shall post a pick of him creating his work soon) cheers Bully

I've got a 3 year old son who, at every chance he gets, runs out to my anvil, grabs some small scraps of steel, or some tongs (in several cases he grabbed one of my cold chisels that I forgot to put out of reach), then proceeds to beat the anvil with them all the while saying, "I make meetal dadee!" Can't wait until he's a little older and stronger!

That is great Bully, you should be very proud! I'm getting married this fall and am hoping to have a son or daughter to help my in the shop soon. I can't wait to have a little helper.

Let's see some pictures of the little guy making his pa proud....

That's terrific Bully, good on you and your wife. There's nothing more important to impart into children that the knowledge they can do whatever needs doing. It makes me feel a little better for the world to hear stories like this.

Good on ya mate and happy birthday to the missus.

Frosty

KEWL. I showed my daughter once when she was abouit 12, she made one hook and that was enough for her. :) Good girl though, she will stick to something if it needs doing.
She helped me cut up a deer once when I was sick, I truly needed her help. She just had to stop ever once inawhile and go outside and gag a bit, then right back in. :)

gobsmacked? is that like flabbergasted, awestruck etc. ?

That's awesome Bully at least his desire is there and now it is just a matter of helping him understand why you need to be there with him. I was at a blacksmith conf. this weekend and was pretty surprised at the lack of youngsters there. It makes you wonder about the future of blacksmithing if we can't get more young folks interested.

Thats great Bully, fair play to him.
I have a four yr old son Ellis, he always asks was it is i am making and somtimes he'll take his favourite 150gram ball pein and belt the lard out of a cold piece of brazing rod on the anvil and tell me that its going to be a duck.

Good story Bully. Both my sons, Connor 12yrs and Ruairi 10yrs are fair hands at the forge. Connor is determined to forge weld a pattern welded billet, at present he is fagot welding a horse shoe LOTS of times and wants to move on but I tell him to wait till he can do that in his sleep. Ruairi is helping me make some dies out of railroad spikes for the guillotine tool. He finds it very hard work but loves being the HAMMERMAN/striker, he likes the bigger title. They are really handy for cranking the blower as well. My kids really earn their pocket money!

Keep up the encouragement and it will blossom. Soon he will be WAAAAAY in front of you like my boys will be with me is a couple of years. They learn so fast :)

Thats great Bully, fair play to him.
I have a four yr old son Ellis, he always asks was it is i am making and somtimes he'll take his favourite 150gram ball pein and belt the lard out of a cold piece of brazing rod on the anvil and tell me that its going to be a duck.

That's cool but maybe he's actually trying to TEACH it to duck? :rolleyes:

I love seeing kids in the shop with Dad. Some of my best memories and most valuable education was in Father's shop.

Frosty

Thanks guys, its great to hear that other dads have there helpers and that they to are very proud. We have to constantly remind ourselves that they absorb and retain so much from our attitude to others, actions and overall life experiences and that we are the blueprint for their morales/ethics and drive in todays society. I have yet to meet a blacksmith that has had poor values/attitude to others and as such one of the many reasons why I have taken smithing on with a passion. IFI should be proud of the quality of its members and what they represent as a art/hobby/lifestyle...Now where did he put my hammer??? Arrghhh found it ...next to his bed.(must show him how to pack up correctly) Cheers Bully ps Gobsmacked has many a meaning here in Aus to name a few, elated, shocked, flabagasted, amazed, stunned, taken a back.

thats awsome bully, cant wait ti'll my little man is old enough to help out, he is 1 1/2 right now and come and visits the smithy when his mother and he are outside, i always get the same reply "wow!! cooo!!" (he cant say the "L" yet lol)

My little fella is two and a half. I have a pic in the gallery of him recieving his first hammer. I wouldn't do this if it was something I couldn't share with both my boys (the other is only 5 months old!).

He really enjoys scrap hunting and plays in my quench bucket whenever he can. Anybody ever figure out how to stop em from throwing rock in there let me know...lol