I Forge Iron

Strange RR spike stamp

Hi all, I picked up two railroad spikes about a week ago and just checked the heads on them now for a stamp. I was happy that one had a vertical "HC" stamp on it. The other one however, was surprisingly odd.
This is about what it looked like:

V8

Does anyone have any idea what that means? Are most spikes kept kept standard as either HC or bare, or are odd ones like this common? Any ideas as to its carbon content? I'll have to check my other railroad spikes at home, I never knew to look at the heads of them (or cared to) until recently.

Thanks for any help
-Nihonius

I've seen spikes with similar markings...don't know what they mean though.

The HC spikes have a higher carbon content than those unmarked but they are (generally) on the LOW end of "high"...at best. If the carbon content is important to you, it's best to do a "spark test" to try and determine if it's high enough for your needs.

hey Frosty...I wasn't trying to contradict your post. I was actually slow typing and by the time I finished you had beat me to it! I had read that the HC spikes are a very low "high" but that is being VERY generous. Your description is far more accurate...a high "mild"...but still MILD steel.

A lot of confusion out there about the HC spikes...I didn't mean to add to it :)

Hey thanks for the replies everyone, and for that list of metals Glenn. I guess I might as well ask here one more thing about rail road steels. I often find square pieces of steel along the tracks that have usually two ridges in them and a few square holes drilled into them. If anyone knows what this part is called, and if it has a higher carbon content, I'd be glad to know. The only parts I can identify are the rails and the spikes.

Even though its basically garbage to them that they will just let sit there till it rusts to dust? I talked to a guy who used to work for the railroad here, and he said they wouldnt care. But its still a worry for sure. As long as I'm not by a train depot, I doubt they would care, but I dont know. I'm helping recycle, and thats a good thing.

hey Frosty...I wasn't trying to contradict your post. I was actually slow typing and by the time I finished you had beat me to it! I had read that the HC spikes are a very low "high" but that is being VERY generous. Your description is far more accurate...a high "mild"...but still MILD steel.

A lot of confusion out there about the HC spikes...I didn't mean to add to it :)

If I'd looked at the time stamps I would've realized how close we posted time wise. I must've been feeling a little prickly.

HC RR spikes come up all the time and the real info is so so easily found I guess it gets to me now and then.

Anyway, no harm no foul. ;)

Frosty

Even though its basically garbage to them that they will just let sit there till it rusts to dust? I talked to a guy who used to work for the railroad here, and he said they wouldnt care. But its still a worry for sure. As long as I'm not by a train depot, I doubt they would care, but I dont know. I'm helping recycle, and thats a good thing.

A guy who used to work for the RR said they wouldn't care eh? I've heard that from maintenance guys too but the RR cop I asked said he'd jail me in a heartbeat if I was on the right of way at all. A Homeland security officer might well pop you on a federal trespassing charge and if you give him/er any lip, suspicion of terrorist activities.

Never underestimate the grief :( a mid level management or code, regulation or law enforcement type can cause you.

Frosty

Nope, if they're walking the tracks they're breaking the law, civil, criminal, local, state and fed. Picking anything up is theft of RR property and a federal offense. It's one of those "everybody" does it and they don't USUALLY say anything. But and it's a really BIG BUT if you tick anyone off they can really stick it to you. The federal court system does NOT recognize a minor so you get tried as an adult.

Be careful, don't get caught and if a RR cop stops you, it's "yes sir/ma'am and no sir/ma'am" and no back talk at all. You'll probably get off with a warning the first time but don't give them and static you WILL regret it.

Sometimes you find RR iron at a scrap yard but not often.

Just be careful and remember I'm saying, "don't break the law."

Frosty

Once you have them, do you know if the sale of things like railroad knives is illegal?
I have a friend who's dad works for the railroad, maybe I can ask his dad if there is someway they would let me go about it legally. I'd think its worth a try. If the railroad okays it, and I get picked up, they would hopefully clear my name and such.

A couple things here. One, if you see them working on the tracks just ask where to get some spikes or if they have any you could get. More than once I have had them take their magnet and dump a couple bucket fulls on the side of the track for me.

Two, while you are technically tresspassing most law enforcement officers have much more to do than arrest someone for picking up discarded railroad spikes. Stay OFF of the train yard. If you are at a country road crossing and see some used spikes I personally would pick them up. Don't pick up the new ones if they are in a pile. That is how they stage their material sometimes. Don't walk miles down the track to get them, you are on their right of way. They don't like it too much when civilians get near the tracks, especially when a train is passing. Stay away from any stopped train. Don't give them a reason to believe you are tampering with trains. I have some pretty graphic pictures of what happens when someone sets down in front of a moving train. Not pretty, he tried to head butt the train and lost.

In my past life I was a law enforcement officer so I am speaking from experience here. Having said that, Frosty has a point. Run into the wrong rookie one day and you had better be on your best behavior. Come to think of it anytime an officer of any kind interacts with you just be nice. It will make the situation much easier.

Remember this you are taking a calculated risk, that is it. About 99.9% of the time they will just say don't do that.

As far as selling knives made from rail road spikes, it is legal. You can buy the spikes as a civilian and therefore they could not prove the spike used to make the knife was stolen, for lack of a better word. Without that proof no charges could be filed.

Unless you're going to weld a high carbon bit into it you can't make a knife from a RR spike. They are LOW CARBON, won't harden, won't hold an edge, aren't real knives.

A letter opener? Sure.

Knife? No.

Good practice stock? Oh you betcha.

Frosty

That is right Frosty. For the most part it is nice to say that in this piece of steels former life it was a railroad spike now it is a knife, letter opener etc. I have made a meat turner out of one. By leaving the head people recognize it for what it is. In fact, if you want to get some spikes from a railroad employee that you spot working on the tracks make a few meat turners ahead of time. Keep them with you and when you spot a few guys working stop and tell them you would be glad to give them a meat turner for some spikes.No one likes a railroad spike more than someone who works on the tracks. "Hey Dave, look at my new steak turner." Yap, that'll get you some spikes.

Yep, the work crews are almost always decent guys willing to give the junk away. Giving them something in appreciation can get your yard overloaded with old steel.

RR spike letter openers are good gifts for office types and steak turners and toasting forks are good too. Almost anything so long as it's still recognizable as being a spike.

I made a number of these about 14-15 years ago when I had access to a power hammer to draw them out. This was my first one and the head didn't turn out like I wanted. I called them auxiliary light plants because a candle fits in the last tail coil. I made a pair of kissing rattle snakes in a heart shape for a gal too but no idea where the pics are. The one in the pics sits on our wood stove.

Frosty

14197.attach

14198.attach

Those snakes are pretty cool, you must have really drawn the metal out to get that long of a thin wire out of it. As for getting spikes, thanks for all the advice guys. The lucky thing for me is that I live in a really small town where the chances of me even being seen on the tracks in some areas are slim to none. But I'll be cautious and nice to anyone who talks to me. I've never seen anyone pick up the spikes with a magnet around here before, they just get thrown to the side and sit there until the end of time.
As for making a knife from these, some people say they get decent ones from HC spikes tempered in water or super quench. I'd think a serrated edge blade would probably really be able to cut through meat at least.

I drew the spikes from 7" long to 30"+/- of 5/16-3/8" dia in one heat with a Kuhn K40 powerhammer and drawing dies.

Some people will say anything even when they don't have a clue what they're talking about. Some especially because they're clueless.

Would you believe me if I told you I once made a knife from balsa wood that would take and hold an edge? Hmmmm?

Do what you will, spikes are good for other things but if you must make a knife shaped object from one. . . Have at it.

Frosty

On anvilfire.com there are alot of tutorials on making various knives, axes, and tomahawks out of the spikes. I cant imagine the spikes are completely useless for blades, though I'm sure they probably arent the best. I'll try it out when I can and see. I need to find a way to get/make a blower. I've looked for bellows instructions, but they werent so good.