I Forge Iron

Material Question RE: Old Tools

Hi All,

Can anyone give me a general idea of what type of steel they make things like tire irons etc out of?

I've got a whack of these things kicking around - left over from old cars I've had.

They seem pretty hard - I thought they might make good punches/chisels/hardy tools etc.

I used a piece of one to make a chipping hammer eons ago and it's still got a decent edge even though i don't think I've ever touched it since.

Thanks!
:D
Willy
:D
p.s. speaking of using old tools as a source of material - what about using old wrenches etc?
I've got a bucket full of em' - I keep giving them away to ppl who need the odd one, and I was just keeping them for scrap wieght anyway....

Most tire irons are medium carbon steel but don't take that as gospel. Try spark testing to estimate C content and if you're making something critical buy new steel.

The problem with making things from old wrenches is several fold. #1 in my book is the chrome plating, removing it is problematical and tossing a piece of chrome in your forge is extremely hazardous to your health. Airborne chrome oxide vapors are near the top of the carcinogenics list. Very bad stuff.

#2 and much farther down the list is the alloy. I have no idea what a wrench is made of, sure some makers stamp something dramatic on them like, "VANADIUM STEEL!!!" but . . . :confused:

I'd stick with your policy of keeping them around for loaners myself.

Frosty

Sorry Frosty, just had to do that.

Don't think my forge will make enough heat to re-forge this old girl.

Something else to look out for is those "non-sparking" wrenches. Beryllium or something like that. Supposed to be mucho grande bad stuff in the vapors from that.

Sorry Frosty, just had to do that.

Don't think my forge will make enough heat to re-forge this old girl.

Oh don't be sorry, that was a good one, I certainly wouldn't've let it pass. :rolleyes:

Frosty