I Forge Iron

I Have Been Baptized in the fire

Will I have finely been baptized by fire today as it was the first full day I have spent working at my forge. I started off putting a 1" loop on a bunch of rebar poles for my grandson and son-in-law to use at there Boy Scout camps. This as simple as it sounds was a learning experience as the whole day was. My first poles took several heating to make the loop but as I did more I can now do it in 1 heating. I know you old times can stop laughing any time now.
Next and the source of my baptism was making a water can holder for my forge work. I was trying several twist on the main body with a somewhat fancy fold back with a loop for the handle. Will I got the part made to hold the can and had quenched this part to start work on the handle. WILL I found out not to take anything that could be hot for granted as I though I was grabbing a cool piece of rod but found out it was not. So I got a nice burn on my first finger and thumb on my left hand. At first though I would tough it out till the pain caused me to rush into the house for burn jell from my ambulance days. I still finished up the water can holder as it too was a great learning experience. I'll post pictures of it as well as a BBQ fork I made the day before feel free to comment good or bad just keep in mind they are my first attempts. As for the burn I know it will be the first of I hope many more to come as I now for sure have the bug and can't wait to try something more new or an attempt at improving something already tried before.
I have been Baptized so cant go back now.
Bill P

13560.attach

13561.attach

As I posted a few weeks back. I feel your pain literally. I burned the middle and ring fingers of my right hand. I too thought that I would tough it out. But the pain made me go inside and run straight for the faucet and icebox, burn gel came latter. Hope that it heels up well and that you learned from that as well. Happy hammering

I believe the waters of my quench tub are medicinal, it was a wine cask, and now when I am burned, it soothes the screaming burn, and generally it is pretty cold as well. Ah yes, I remember my first burn like it was yesterday, leaning over the anvil, placing my hand down on the piece I had just told myself was still hot, um hummm, gotta love it, welcome to the addiction.

I'm afraid I did quench the ends but the rods have a triangle piece to push in with your foot BUT. As you said with scouts I may be repairing some after a camp out or 2 but this time I want quench. Thanks for the tip.
Bill P

Best piece of advice about burns I ever got was this "If you mess up and grab a hot piece, immediately immerse the burn in the coldest water you can find for at least 15 minutes."

First time I grabbed a hot piece,(yep, thumb and forefinger), the weather was chilly, and the quench bucket had pieces of ice floating. I stuck my hand in for about 10 minutes, then held a nice hunk of ice with the affected digits. Burn healed quickly, pain was minimal, scarring minimal. Glad I had that advice. Thanks to Glenn for that advice.;)

Thanks guys
I'll differently reheat the rods today as I plan on trying to make some more new items.
As for the burn cure will keep it in mind for the next time but will have to run for the freezer if I do with summer coming on here in Tenn. I just hope the next time will not be so soon, thanks again all.
Bill P