I Forge Iron

Bladesmithing techniques?

Ross_FL

Looking for a good online (free) resource to read about hammer techniques such as stretching a piece of steel while reducing the width and so on.

I can't seem to find anything.

UTube.com actually has a few videos, but not much discussion.

If anyone has any favorite sites, they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Favorite sites? Try IForgeIron.com

The opening page, the forum and the gallery each has their own search engine that searches only that one section. Use all three.

Log in to the home page as a registered member and look at the Blueprints section, particularly in the 1000 Hofi series, the lower BP numbers to start.

Favorite sites? Try IForgeIron.com

The opening page, the forum and the gallery each has their own search engine that searches only that one section. Use all three.

Log in to the home page as a registered member and look at the Blueprints section, particularly in the 1000 Hofi series, the lower BP numbers to start.

I've looked at the blue prints numerous times, but not the Hofi Series 1000, I'll give it a look.

Thanks.

'Drawing' is a technique whereby a smith reduce the cross-section of a piece of metal by stretching it in one or more other directions. That nugget alone (which could be found by actually reading a basic blacksmithing primer -- book, magazine or Internet article) should help you to find the information you are looking for.

If you take a piece of clay (plastacine/modelling or otherwise) you can work it like a piece of hot metal, but without the heat, mess and heat times. Plastacine moves a lot easier too. You can not only practise your hammer technique any time but also learn about different techniques by doing.

I guess the problem I'm having, and I may not have illustrated it very well, is that I am not starting out with the elongated rectangle that is typical of every resource I have found thus far.

I need to get to that shape.

I have a 3" x 6" that's only 1/4" thick that I need to get to a 2" x 9" and retain the same thickness.

A solution other bladesmiths might employ is simply folding the piece in half, welding it, and stretching it using a cross pein hammer. This is my second attempt however and I don't want to try any welding.

Yeah, that's is what I was planning on doing, and also leaving the opposite edge hanging off the anvil like so.

Just didn't know if this was the "norm" as far as general reshaping goes.

I'll post some pictures of the days events later this afternoon,

Thanks Steve!

forging1.jpg

RossFL:I'm sorry,but at least a part of your problem is the all important PLANNING.
Forging thin stock on edge is tough to begin with,and tougher for someone with the lack of skill(yet).
That pretty photoshop diagram is NOT the real life.You WILL end up with some fishmouth,it's the nature of,basically,trying to upset the stock that is bound to cool off right where you least need it too.
The task that you set yourself is not the best technical solution(nor is welding,but it's even a longer story).Therefore,it's certainly not a productive beginner exercise.
All sorts of info is available on the net,however,your time would be better spent practicing basic forging,and,as a result,you'll gain an ability to judge the REASONABLENESS,as well as a DOABILITY,of a given forging task.
I hope it doesn't sound harsh-it's not meant to,at all.Strictly information,and,without having to say it-from my experience only.
The very best of luck,Jake.

Little trick i learned this weekend from my bladesmith teacher. When forging the point, like your picture dictates, don't do it over the edge.

Do you have a step down from the face to the horn? If so, then place your piece of flat stock that is let's say 6" long when starting. Use like 60 degree blows to one side of the end of the piece of metal that is on the horn now. Flip it over and do the same. Keep doing this until you have a point. Pretty easy from there. I'll get pictures this weekend if my description was unclear.

it has not been mentioned, but getting the correct size stock is a lot easier, and will cost less than the fuel for all the forging required on this one.

Agreed, that piece is now in the junk bin, too much work when I can just find something that's already dimensionally similar, at least for a beginner.

The $20 shipping cost at Admiral just scared me off, I need to just find a local supplier.