I Forge Iron

Cold worked work.

However, we'll be more than happy to talk about cold working metal, even if we have to make things up. ;)

Seriously, I have no doubt there are a number of folk here who do cold work. I have some experience and will be happy to share.

What would you like to know?

Frosty

I'm not sure about the resources available on I forge Iron, but if you go to
AnvilFire.com , Click on Armory on the left side of the page, you will find a list of detailed subjects.

In the list are Demos by Eric Thing on raising helmets with detailed pictures of the process and equipment. I've read through all of that part of Anvilfire and found it enlightening and instructive.

Not a bad idea, I will bring up the idea of a "cold work" section at the next staff meeting. I would assume in the general section would be a good place? IF it happens I will see to it that this thread gets put there :)

Edited by steve sells
typo

Wow, thank guys!

This is really a great community!

Yea, i'm taking a look at anvilfire and the armour archive and they are a ton of help! But i still haven't found how an entire suit of armour would actually be held together.

My best guess would be leather straps and obviously the rivets you see on the inside. But i have yet to find a website which has a good explaination of how for example the legs would be attached. My guess is a hooker's garder belt! XD Or something similar. ;)

I agree they are a great resource! We are not trying to be armorers. Cold working metal is more than only armor. Some could assume this is for auto body work from the title, and I am sure some of that will find its way to this section sooner or later.

We are not trying to push or create new topics as much as expand the filing system of the existing forum to make room for the non-standard smithing fields that are already being discussed. With separate sections they are easier to locate. Such as with the past additions of sections on copper smithing, blades, or even the power hammers.

In essence, we are attempting to meet the perceived needs of the membership which is growing at a rapid rate.

If Silver inlays gather a large enough volume of posts, I am sure that will be added to the metal specific section, currently addressing copper, tin and alloys.

Edited by steve sells
typo

I wasn't suggesting that this was the only site for cold metal working but that it would be nice to be able to discuss it here among friends, folk I already know. Not all here are ignorant you know. If I wanted a full in depth discussion on body and fender work I already know where to go but if I want to discuss it with you, Thomas, I would do it here not at that other web site. I didn't think for one moment that this was going to be an all inclusive, totally, 100% in depth section on all aspects of cold metal working. So there. (Raspberry);)

I did a set of reproduction Roman loica segmentata for giggles once. Here is the site that had all the info: Legio XX Lorica Segmentata

Did the whole project cold.

I have met some SCA folks who do 90% cold work in their reproductions. Whats the fun in that??? No chance of gettin' the snot burned out of you? LOL

Thanks for the link, I learned a lot in a quick read. My reading of Roman Histroy had lead me to suspect that the "Museum Reproductions" were more geared to movie influenced expectations, and manufacturing ease than accuracy.

Heat was definitly used for making medieval armour. A forge was needed to anneal and heat treat the plates, and heat was also used in shaping. Some parts were done cold, certainly, but heat was important.

I recommend Eric Dube's videos on YouTube, 13 vids of him making armour, his screen name is SgtViktor.

• 1 month later...

im doing some large elephant sculptures at the moment covered in thin sheet steel and am doing it cold - thats why i was looking on this section - great to have a cold working section for general tips at least if not eventually armour related stuff. may as well strip ifi members of all the info they know after all...;)

• 4 weeks later...

The Pull Max is called a universal shearing and forming machine. Mine can shear 3/16 plate you push it through . The English wheel is pretty much an auto body / aviation tool. It is pretty neat you can beat the snot out of a piece of sheet with a hammer stretch and wad it up and you can bring it back to smooth again .

cheers Ken- im going to have a look about that english wheel - my dad was on about something similar sounding the other day actually and i reckon thats what he meant. sounds useful...

I haven't done any business with these people but the site looks like it might be a good resource for coldwork sheet metal tools including english wheels.

I kept the link because they and a good price on leather shot bags.

FOURNIER ENTERPRISES INC: {English wheel, Metal Shaping, Metalwork, Metal Forming, Metal Fabrication, Ron Fournier}

Charlotte